Help System On XP

dandew 17:20 03 Jun 2010

Fixing laptop for friend. Many malware removed.
Now clear and working well but for
Help System does not run,
Also System Restore.
System Information.

Checks with Bullguard , Threatfire , MalwareBytes say all OK.

All Updates done ( Win Updates ).

These problems were present before the repair, so unchanged.

Any suggestions welcome

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:38 03 Jun 2010

* Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
* Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.

Does it run?

Restore System Information
-- see line #221 at right -- :
click here

System Restore fix click here

Help
First you should check that the help and support service is running ,to do this first click on start then click on run, In the run dialog box type in "services.msc" (without the double quotes)

In the window that opens up scroll down until you see "help and support" then check the status to see if it is active. If it says disabled double click on help and support listing and from the dialog box that pops up select automatic for the startup type and then click on apply.click on the start button on the same dialog box to start help and support then click on ok.See if help and support comes up when you try to start it. If this doesn't help then the following articles might be of help

click here
click here

Probably also worth doing a repair
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

dandew 21:00 03 Jun 2010

Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
EggTimer stays on for a few seconds but no run.
Re link "Registry Edits for Windows XP" will try these later, a lot in it.

Help: services.msc help and Support " Started"

sfc /scannow Runs but wants XP CD. Problem here is I dont have the Cd and also This laptop has no CD Drive ( It is an Atom micro laptop.

Now looking for System Volumn Information , not sure where it should be.
Meanwhile working thru your suggestions, not proceding well.
Could these problems be the result of damage by the malware which is now gone ??
Thanks for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:23 03 Jun 2010

See the scannow problems link and set the registry to look for the i386 folder on the hard drive.

If you can get scannow to work it may solve all your other problems.

dandew 23:06 03 Jun 2010

Fruit Bat Thank you.

Have read this and will try tomorrow, gone too tired to make any changes ( could make error easy ).

Thanks again

dandew 16:18 05 Jun 2010

Still on this.
Followed instructions on moving I386 files to HardDisk and Setting Registry to look for it. Then ScanregNow at last ran, with only one message about CD which I skipped, then it went on to end ( about 2 hours ) and just terminated without any further messages. System behaved as if nothing happened. I rebooted anyway and all the same. Still no Restore or help functions.

Again this is a microlaptop ( Atom ) and has no Cd drive.

I could buy an ext USB CD drive but dont want the expense.
Any further help appreciated.

dandew 16:19 05 Jun 2010

Still on this.
Followed instructions on moving I386 files to HardDisk and Setting Registry to look for it. Then ScanregNow at last ran, with only one message about CD which I skipped, then it went on to end ( about 2 hours ) and just terminated without any further messages. System behaved as if nothing happened. I rebooted anyway and all the same. Still no Restore or help functions.

Again this is a microlaptop ( Atom ) and has no Cd drive.

I could buy an ext USB CD drive but dont want the expense.
Any further help appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 05 Jun 2010

SFC does just finish that means all windows files are ok.

you obviously have something "switched off" in the registry.

have you tried the other things in my post Fruit Bat /\0/\ Thu, 03/06/[email protected]:38

dandew 17:17 05 Jun 2010

Thank you
Going through these again to confirm.

Help and Support is Automatic in Services.msc
msinfo32.exe does not run.
Restore System Information went thru all this, no joy.
How to fix system restore not working in Windows XP in site TroubleFixers, "System Volume Information" folder, not allowed to rename it. Had already set folders options to Show hidden files to tick and Hide protected OS to untick, as instructed.
Also tried this in Safe mode, same result.

Already tried steps in Help problem, without success and will come back to this but as you said scanregnow may sorve the problems so i am trying to focus on this.
Thanks for your help, further help greately appreciated.

dandew 10:32 07 Jun 2010

Help system
Tried microsoft site , found all settings already correctly set in Registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
# In the left pane, click HELPCTR.EXE, in the right pane, right-click (Default), click Modify, in the Value data box, type C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe

Rename "SystemVolumeInformation" Folder
Got system to boot by usb to Ubuntu and changed above folder to SystemVolumeInformation2 as suggested.
Now reboot in Win to check. checked now find i have the original SystemVolumeInformation folder and also a new one SystemVolumeInformation2 as i just renamed it. Both are still access denied .

Now trying CCleaner and AdvancedSystemCare.

dandew 23:49 09 Jun 2010

Thank you for help Fruit Bat /\0/\

I abandoned this task, Tried so much.
Computer working fine except for lack of Help and System Restore functions.
Will get back to it when I get the correct XP Cd and an external USB CD Drive.

Again Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?