help! system crashes

theDarkness 13:30 04 Sep 2006

my system crashed earlier, possibly due to downloaded poor freeware software- it was the only thing i was doing before the crash. after a forced restart, the system told me that I had 'problems or missing keyboard/mouse drivers' initially. after another restart, they worked fine (standard, not usb) but my system has also crashed a second time since, so i am wondering what the problem is most likely to be down to?

i have scanned for viruses so am wondering what the best thing to do would be, reinstall key/mouse drivers (not sure how specifically in xp) or a restore (aargh lol)?! im not sure if either will stop the crashing. thanks for any info. the strange thing is i dont think i have installed any programs linked to keyboard/mouse usage lately, so i imagine that after the first crash it was just luck that it would be these drivers that would mess up?

im not sure as to why the system would crash if its just the keyboard/mouse drivers that were damaged as to not not work 100%. I cannot be certain if with the second crash it was a proper crash and not just the keyboard/mouse not being able to respond.

any info would be good. i havent crashed since 11am!

xania 15:04 04 Sep 2006

Insert your OS install CD then <Run> sfc /scannow.

theDarkness 18:26 04 Sep 2006

thanks for that, but I may have a problem- im running xp home with sp2, and it tells me to insert my xp pro (?) sp2 cd after I try the <Run> 'sfc /scannow' command. I installed service pack 2 straight from the microsoft update service, and am only running the basic home version?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 04 Sep 2006

sfc /scannow problems
click here

STREETWORK 18:44 04 Sep 2006

Can you roll back to a previous time using 'system restore'?

Curio 18:45 04 Sep 2006

I think you will find that insert disc is just a cover phrase for both OSs. If your machine asks for the disc, insert it and let it do its work. You will get a progress bar whilst it is operating, but nothing but a clear screen when it is finished.

theDarkness 20:25 04 Sep 2006

thanks fruity, i tried the updatexp website and copied the required files to the hd and changed the drive target, but its still the same. i also tried the xp normal disc but it wont accept it for the same files. looks like ill need a restore if it ever crashes again

Aargh 20:30 04 Sep 2006

STREETWORK
Mon, 04/09/[email protected]:44

Can you roll back to a previous time using 'system restore'?

Best advice so far.

theDarkness 22:17 04 Sep 2006

im going to restore if i crash one more time, hoping that the last time was a one in a million fluke, so soon after the first.

thanks everyone :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017