Help suspected virus, don't know whats happening

erkmatrix 09:03 27 Dec 2005

Got a major PC problem. I was on a site called gamedemo.com and was wanting to download the gangland demo game, now the file is unclickable on my desktop and when I try and delete it it say the file is being used by another program. So I wanted to check if the file was a virus and i normally use the housecall.trendmicro online virus checker but for some reason it never get to the stage of actually scanning my machine it just says loading the scanning components and doesn't download though. So I thought try AVG that I have on my computer from ages ago only when I try and update it doesn't work either, its like the virus, if it is one is stopping me downloading something to get rid of it. Is that possible. the file that I got from that game site, which looks a legit site is called GanglandSetup-dm.exe it might not be a virus as I say but something weird is happening with me not being able to get rid of the file and can't update or do the housecall virus checker.

Can anyone help please?

ICF 09:07 27 Dec 2005

Boot up in safemode and try to delete it

Skyver 09:08 27 Dec 2005

See if you can get AVG here click here
Reboot, stay offline when running a virus check, although if you can get AVG, you may want to update via the net and then reboot again in Safe mode just to be doubly sure. Also run a scan with this (again, assuming you can download it) click here

VoG II 09:09 27 Dec 2005
  Sharpamatt 09:14 27 Dec 2005

depends how long you have had AVG on your system. is it version 7?

If not download it and run a scan ( do two updates first on AVG )

Its always a risk downloading any Exe file.

Presume you have tried deleating this by other methods such as from the Programs List, control pannel ( add remove ) or even by useing system restore ( dependant on your O/S )

You should also check your settings and disable it then you may be able to deleat it

erkmatrix 12:26 27 Dec 2005

Just coming back to say thanks for the help, I managed to get rid of it with in safe mode and using system restore too then used the downloaded version of updated AVG, it found 2 viruses and appears to have deleted them.

Cheers again
Philip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires