help with sus evaluation dvd version please

keith-236785 09:27 12 Dec 2005

Hi

First off, i am a relative noob when it comes to linux but i am at the least persistant.

my problem is this, i have downloaded, burnt and installed suse 10.0 evaluation version, this has all gone ok upto the point where i do the online updates, all are installed ok but......

on rebooting, the pc hangs at the "waiting for sata drive to appear (something like sda/hd1) trys twice then exits to bash.

i have removed the partitions, started again and installed suse. once again it seems to have lost the sata drive after the updates (it works fine upto that point). i am impressed with suse and would purchase the full retail but for this and the inability to setup my printer/scanner.

any help would be great, at this moment i have cleared the partitions again and am going to install for the third time, however i will not do the updates this time.

one last thing, it says during the updates bit to execute lilo b4 rebooting, i tried this but nothing happened when i double clicked it. do i need to run a Konsole command to execute lilo or should a double click do it, if i need a command, does anyone know what it should be.

the installing printer bit is puzzling me because i cant seem to browse to the right folder/drive in the konsole to where the downloaded printer driver files has been downloaded to.

please help me sort out this probably simple problem (to some anyway).

thanks
Keith

keith-236785 10:38 12 Dec 2005

Bump

heading should read help with Suse, oops

keith-236785 18:11 12 Dec 2005

bump again for the evening crew

Chegs ®™ 20:08 12 Dec 2005

I would wander over to Computer Trouble click here where there are a few with similar interests in linux.Between us,we might be able to get you going.

keith-236785 00:06 13 Dec 2005

Thanks Chegs ®™, i will take a look tomorrow

keith-236785 22:36 27 Dec 2005

not really resolved as both problems remain, this time i havent updated the OS, and the printer is still not working.

im going to try yet another linux distro (mandrive 2006 DVD version) and see if i get any joy with that, least i shouldnt have the update problem with mandrake (mandriva), though i still expect to struggle with the printer.

bugs me cos i checked linux drivers were available before i bought the printer, you live and learn.

thanks for any ideas

Paperman27

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?