Help and Support fails to open

tallboy 22:37 18 Jul 2009

Following a suspected corrupt Master Boot Record, I have just completed a Windows XP Repair install.

Most things I have checked so far appear to work; however, when I click on the Help and Support function (from the Start tab) I just get a flick of the mouse pointer and nothing else. This means of course that I am unable to set Restore Points as well as accessing Microsoft's Help pages.

How do I restore this function to normal operation?

rdave13 22:36 18 Jul 2009

System file checker?

rdave13 22:37 18 Jul 2009

Oops my posting to this thread is err wrong.

rdave13 22:43 18 Jul 2009

As posted further above try sfc /scannow.

rdave13 22:53 18 Jul 2009

Apology for what has happened. Suspect my ISP has problems with time settings since PCA have moved to better servers. That's all I can think of what's happened here.

Technotiger 23:02 18 Jul 2009

Have you tried via Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore ....?

VoG II 23:02 18 Jul 2009

Amazing !!!

tallboy click here

rdave13 23:12 18 Jul 2009

You may scoff but it takes thousands of years to read a minute of the future.
Yes ..I'm an alien who can predict sixty seconds of future.
The proof is here.
I'm going to do the lottery at 19:29 come wednesday.
tallboy, sorry for the bit of fun and unwanted email prompts.

tallboy 09:04 19 Jul 2009

Thanks for the reply technotiger. Following your suggestion I tried Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and whilst I got further than when I hit the Help & Support button, I was unable to enter a title for the Restore Point.

At the time, I had not re-activate Win XP as I have also had trouble trying to re-activate it. (When I clicked on the keys to re-activate, all I got was a flicker from the mouse pointer. Thinking that the modem was not working (Microsoft activation defaults to the modem port) I removed the modem, re-started the PC and tried again - still no re-activation activity. I was also aware that in the absence of a modem, MS use an http address for re-activatation. With my broadband connection working OK, I started up Firefox - that worked OK. However, IE8 was not working following the Repair Install. I re-installed IE8 and hey-presto, I was able to re-activate XP and also access the Help facility (including the Restore function) in the normal way.

So much for MS XP Repair re-installing Microsoft applications!

Technotiger 09:12 19 Jul 2009

Glad you have it sorted - thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?