HELP - Spam being generated from Laptop

Evolution 10:34 31 Jan 2008

Hi,

My son switched on his laptop this morning and as Norton Antivirus launched, his screen was continuously filled with the 'Outbound Email' scanning dialogue box and there was no way of stopping it.

When I temporarily managed to regain control, over 1000 emails had been generated although according to Norton, they were blocked by our ISP.

I also noted from the Norton warning that the email sender wasn't my son but someone unknown and with a diffrent domain and the header referred to 'Cheap Rolex Watches' so I can only assume that he's done something which means his laptop is being used to generate this spam.

For info, within Outlook there is nothing in his Send or Outbox so I don't know where this is being generated from.

I've run Norton Anti Virus (fully updated) and have managed to turn off Outbound Email Scanning in an attempt to stop this, which is not ideal.

Any ideas how to locate and get rid of this problem?

Thanks,

Evo

xania 10:43 31 Jan 2008

See if this helps

click here

jimv7 11:21 31 Jan 2008

Download and run superantispyware from click here

wee eddie 11:25 31 Jan 2008

Comodo & Zone Alarm are free and do a very good job

Les28 17:21 31 Jan 2008

You could try a-squared free first then a-squared hijack free, hijack free will do an online analysis

click here

click here

Don't know whether this one's worth trying as well

click here

Les28 17:54 31 Jan 2008

You could try f-secure blacklight as well, bottom of the page under Downloads Blacklight

click here

Ashrich 18:04 31 Jan 2008

The malware/virus has installed it's own SMTP server to send the spam , it doesn't need Outlook or anything else .

Ashley

Evolution 19:16 31 Jan 2008

Hi,

Asrich is correct as whatever malware/virus my son has activated has obviously created it's own SMTP server as Outlook, Hotmail etc are not running.

Whatever it is I just can't stop the spam creation unless I disable the wireless network connection.

Have run full scans using Norton AV, Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and SuperAntiSpyware with no detection.

Will try Blacklight as well but any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Evo

Les28 22:43 31 Jan 2008

If you haven't had any luck after running anti-malware programmes like a-squared, lavasoft adaware or spybot search and destroy probably your best bet would be to create a HiJackThis log file and post it to one of the many forums which analyse HiJackThis log files.
Here's one here that explains how to create a log file and where to post it.

click here

but you can also do an online search for HiJackThis log forums

Have you tried running your Anti-virus and anti-malware scans in safe mode and also had a look in task manager when you are in normal mode to see what's running in the processes tab, plus have a look in the startup tab of msconfig to see what runs at startup and also check for any exceptions in Windows Firewall if you are using Windows Firewall but a Hijackthis log forum might be best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?