Help with sound please

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 13:50 07 Jan 2008

I connect a 2 - sterio jack from the blue and green sockets on my motherboard to my jack in at my display, put in a cd to play and select WMP but it says no sound is configured. I check the sound part of the cotrol panel and all is blanked out on the volume and audio tabs. XPPro installed.

Any one advise what to do next PS the cable does not seem to be the right one for the motherboard sockets as the sleeve does not seem to mate very well but it plugs in rather loosely!

tullie 14:14 07 Jan 2008

I dont understand because im a bit thick,but what happens when you slip a disk into the drive?,without messing about with cables,what you mean by display?
All i do is plug my speakers into computer and thats it.

I have no in-unit sound/speaker so I'm trying to use the audio output from the motherboard to the sterio speakers on my LCD display unit. I am hoping someone with knowledge of the setup required will help. If you can take me a step further that would be great.

ambra4 04:37 08 Jan 2008

“All is blanked out on the volume and audio tabs”

Have you checked that the sound card driver is installed??

Go to the device manager and see if there is any yellow question mark on any of the hardware and audio devices

What is the display make and model number?

“2 - stereo jack from the blue and green sockets on my motherboard to my jack in at my display”

Blue Socket on motherboard is the “Line In” to the Computer Green Socket is the “Speakers Out” Connection

Not to sure why you connecting the Blue Socket to the display

Is there a “Line Out” or “Audio Out” Connection on the Display if there is this would normal go to an amplifier or speakers input connection

The "Other devices - Multimedia controller" has a yellow Qmark. But "Sound, video and game controllers" is OK. If I try to put a driver in for the multimedia is says none was found (on the internet). As I've just reloaded XPPro fresh I would have expected the motherboard sound to work. I have a Radeon 9200nf board driving the display (as the motherboard does not have a display socket) and this has a single socket next to the VGA plug. Is this what I should be using and does it match the display sterio input plug?

martjc 11:23 08 Jan 2008

...at the back of your pc. I'd find out what that 'other device' is before going any further. Obviously, there is something there without drivers - we don't knoe yet if it has anything to do with sound output.

Sound can be set up from [Start], Control panel, Sounds & Audio devices. Check the volume is not muted.

I realise the green socket is a sterio socket? so I have usd a sterio cable both ends to connect to the display audio input. I have used the board man. site to check for drivers but it did not detect any absent. I assume this is AC'97 whatever that is. As I've had no luck and I perhaps could by a sound card or a combined latest sound/video/tv card, what would be the best option (I think I have an PCI interface and not the express version - how do I tell?)?

ambra4 12:25 08 Jan 2008

"Multimedia controller"

Is the sound card you need to download the driver from the motherboard site

Is the Pink Green Blue Socket on the motherboard, or on a seperate board

"I assume this is AC'97 whatever that is"

Is the audio driver that you need to download go to site and double check on the audio driver

Ex plorer 14:47 08 Jan 2008

Hi (Green)stereo Line-out (Blue)stereo Line-In and (Pink)Mic-In

Any one advise what to do next PS the cable does not seem to be the right one for the motherboard sockets. as the sleeve does not seem to mate very well but it plugs in rather loosely!
Can you explain.

Any plug going into your PC on board sound, or sound card, should be a good fit.

Are you trying to put a phono plug in the PC sockets.

ambra4 15:44 08 Jan 2008

Type and size of connection for the line out socket you need and should be a firm fit in socket, there is also a smaller size connection

click here

keef66 14:55 09 Jan 2008

If you have just reinstalled the operating system, you should also have reinstalled the motherboard chipset drivers. If you don't have them on a disk, visit the website of the pc or motherboard manufacturer and see if you can download them (usually under 'support' or 'downloads')

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?