Help with slow game speed

torpid 10:30 25 Nov 2005

Hello. I recently bought the game "the movies" to play on my parents pc. Everything runs fine until later in the game (when there is more stuff on screen), when it starts to slow quite badly.
Does any one have any tips or suggestions to help?
Ps- nothing drastic as it is not my pc, but i could tinker a bit. Cheers

gudgulf 10:37 25 Nov 2005

What is the specification of the pc and the graphics card it contains.

Sounds like it might be underpowered for the game or you are trying to run it at too high a setting.

Jdoki 11:18 25 Nov 2005

Sounds like you have the detail set too high. Either decrease the amount of effects through the options screen, or set it to run at a lower resolution.

If you are finding that you get pauses of maybe 1 to 2 seconds every couple of minutes (especially during costume changes, or the transition from shooting to finished movie) this appears to be a known problem and there isn't a solution at the moment... I suffer from this and it's extremely annoying.

torpid 11:33 25 Nov 2005

Yes it is annoying-I'm soo addicted to it, but it has become almost unplayable for me!
I have already reduced the game resolution & details etc to the lowest settings.
Gudgulf- The pc is a dell3000 with intel82865 (onboard i think) graphics. The thing is, i was able to play "rome total war" on here, so thought i would get away with it!
Perhaps i just need to save for my own pc.
I will leave this thread open for the rest of the day incase of any more advice. Thanks for help Gudgulf & Jdoki.

nar 12:03 25 Nov 2005

Best to reduce the graphics down to the lowest point and then increase slightly until you get some slowdown. At this point reduce it back down and now you know the max threshold.
Troble is the onboard graphics are just not much cop for running todays new releases.

Yep if you want to play new games you will need a good new pc without onboard graphics

gudgulf 13:10 25 Nov 2005

You will need to check inside the pc to be sure but if memory serves me right there is no AGP or PCI-e slot on the motherboard in the Dell 3000 series.

This means that upgrading from the onboard graphics to a card capable of playing the game is not possible.

The only option would be a PCI slot card....something like a GeForce fx5200.Unfortunately that would be little better than the onboard graphics you already have.click here might be your only option but at £50 it's a bit of a gamble.

Check the pc and pc manual to be sure but I think there is little you can do to improve matters short of a new pc.

Totally-braindead 16:46 25 Nov 2005

It does state in the specification that it needs a 3d hardware accelerator card so it looks like you're out of luck I'm afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?