Help Slow Computer

mobad 10:28 17 May 2003

Ok I have athlone 2.2 Xp Processor, 512mb ram, and 2 x 80gigz hartd drives. I have alot of stuff downlaoded on my computer and that run at once on my computer. At the moment its started to go a bit slow, I have de fragged but still the same thing. SHoudl I buy a extra processor for dual processor using HAL or shoudl I just add more mmeory?

AMD 4 ever 10:41 17 May 2003

What are you running, and why so much?

Nellie2 10:54 17 May 2003

Have you tried clearing out your temporary internet files?

sgtdibble 11:03 17 May 2003

as Nellie2 says you will have to get rid of some
stuff off your harddrive have you any games or programs you don't use much? you could download
them to a cd and reload when needed

mobad 11:08 17 May 2003

Well I have couple of main apps I use, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, couple of file sharing programs, Norton, winamp, and some scripts. I mean if I bought a 2nd processor wouldnt that speed things up?

AMD 4 ever 11:40 17 May 2003

do you have a dual motherboard and a os which fully supports dual cpu..i.e xp/2000.

Nellie2 11:49 17 May 2003

Well if you are using ICQ, MSN and Yahoo....why don't you try Trillian and just have the one program running. click here

Also another thought I have had, are you running XP and have you downloaded this patch? XP Q811493
There were some problems reported with it, notably system slow down!!click here

weyland 11:54 17 May 2003

have you tried winoptimizer from ashampoo? the first time i run it i had over 700mb of "junk" in my registry. afterwards it run smooothly and without any problems. you can download it free from the website. i think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?