Help a silver surfer

passant 03:04 17 Mar 2008

My dial up connection is with AOL. I want to change to BT broadband. I've heard rumours that if I close my AOL account, it is impossible to delete all their files, and that these will interfere with files placed on my computer by BT. I went to BT web site and clicked on "how do I change my ISP?" I received message to the effect that this info could not be displayed - I think forbidden was the word used. All very puzzling Thanks for any info

STREETWORK 07:14 17 Mar 2008

You will need to do the following.

1. Request your MAC code from AOL
2. Contact BT to sort out the account, they will send you all the hardware and set up disks fairly quickly.
3. Use this link to uninstall AOL
click here

You will need to uninstall AOL completly before loading the BT software. Be prepared to be without an internet connection for a while wislt BT set up your line, usually 3-10 days...

rawprawn 08:41 17 Mar 2008

When I changed from Tiscali to BT about 6 months ago I only lost connection for about 4 hours. BT gave me a switch over date and told me not to try and connect until after mid day. I usually connect about 8am but I actually kicked tiscali into touch the night before.
I think the biggest problem with moving from AOL is the loss of all your stored emails, unless there is now a way of retrieving them.

FatboySlim71 09:01 17 Mar 2008

passant

I moved from AOL in September 2007. You will need to contact AOL and ask them for a MAC code, you will be probably bombarded by offers or other stuff by the call centre agent, if you are persistent they will eventually supply you a MAC code by email, I was told that I would have mine sent within 48 hours to my email address, I will add that this was not done, after several more phone calls I still had not been supplied with my MAC code. In the end I contacted AOL via the Live Help service, I explained my disgust at been messed around and demanded that I was given my MAC code, I also reminded them that they must supply me the MAC code as a OFCOM ruling says that they must supply a MAC code within five working days, I was then instantly given my MAC code, it maybe worth doing the above if AOL are messing you around, i.e. not sending you your MAC code via email.

Also, once your new service is up and running with your new provider, you then need to contact AOL to close your account with them otherwise they will continue to bill you, BUT ONLY DO THIS ONCE YOUR SERVICE IS UP AND RUNNING WITH YOUR NEW PROVIDER!

Regarding "I've heard rumours that if I close my AOL account, it is impossible to delete all their files, and that these will interfere with files placed on my computer by BT"

All I did to remove the AOL files was to go into CONTROL PANEL, chose all the AOL entries and then uninstall them, after this I searched my computer for any files/folders called AOL, I then deleted the entries that were found.

When I changed my provider (I moved to ZEN) click here my service was not interrupted. Basically I was told by my new provider when my service would start with them, after this time I could not connect via AOL, I then connected with my new provider (ZEN). There was no downtime whatsoever.

I can highly recommend ZEN, their service and customer service is A1.

howard64 09:08 17 Mar 2008

reading your original post you say "dial up" not broadband therefore mac's are not required your line is not broadband enabled. You simply need to cancel your account with aol to stop being billed and request a broadband supply from bt. Then simply use add/remove progs from control panel to remove anything to do with aol.

passant 23:50 18 Mar 2008

Sorry I've been away. Many thanks to everyone who responded. Your help was much appreciated. You have all made everything so much clearer. I'm now confident enough to go ahead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?