HELP WITH SETUP NEW COMPUTER !

SLIM12 16:57 29 Nov 2008

i am replacing my computer at home and i am with orange broadband , can you tell me what steps i have to take so i can use my new computer with my existing broadband ? i am really confused here as i am a novice !!!

cheers

ambra4 17:00 29 Nov 2008
  SLIM12 17:08 29 Nov 2008

i am not adding a second computer but getting a new one from pc world ! i will have to reinstall the orange modem with the new computer but what else will i have to do ?

citadel 17:15 29 Nov 2008

I have just built a new pc. i just plugged the ethernet cable into my existing bt modem and was ready to go.

Sea Urchin 17:17 29 Nov 2008

Just as you would have done with your previous PC. As you rightly say set up the orange modem, and then add your existing email account details to whichever email client you wish to use (Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail etc)

The enjoy your new computer.

Stuartli 17:17 29 Nov 2008
  ambra4 17:20 29 Nov 2008

It does not matter if it One, Two or 12 computers you have to set up the LAN card on all the computer the same way

Once you have set up the lan card access the router via your web browser and configure using the following setting

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s until it synch with your broadband ISP

Start your browser and enter the router access code, check the manual for the correct code

Connection Type = PPPoA

Encapsulation Method: VCMUX

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Authentication: Auto

Keep Alive: On

User Idle Timeout: 3420

NAT: On

QoS: On

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

SLIM12 17:23 29 Nov 2008

so i just need to have my broadband account details and password ? when i install the modem on the new computer just add my existing broadband details ?

SLIM12 17:25 29 Nov 2008

i dont have a router setup , computer is straight into the landline ?

ambra4 17:30 29 Nov 2008

if you only have a modem connected to the phone line just set up the lan card and connect to the modem and you should have internet access

Old Guy. 18:01 29 Nov 2008

Are you ORANGE 3G Internet Everywhere SLIM12..?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie