Help with setting up wireless connection.

bknight629 14:13 01 Sep 2007

Hi all, I'm sure you've heard my problem before so I'm sorry to be repetitive but I hope you can help me!

I am currently using BT Openworld Broadband using a SpeedTouch 330 USB modem. I bought a Belkin Wireless G Router (54Mbps) in the hope of sharing the connection with my wi-fi laptop.

I had trouble installing the router because the modem was connected to the PC by USB, which meant I couldnt connect the USB modem to the router. I even tried a USB-RJ45 adapter, but this didnt work.

So, my question is: What am I doing wrong, and what can I do to correct it? OR have I bought the wrong equipment, and if so, what recommendations would you make with regard to my current connection and modem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ambra4 14:30 01 Sep 2007

You can’t use the usb port you must a Ethernet cable from the modem to the router wan port and plug a second cable from router to the lan port on the pc

bknight629 14:36 01 Sep 2007

Ok, so basically I need to plug the phone line directly into the router, and then use a second Ethernet cable to connect the modem and the router? I don't think this is possible, there is no ethernet port on my modem.

ambra4 14:45 01 Sep 2007

No you do not remove the phone line it seems that what you have is a ASDL USB modem which you cannot use for networking

You need a ADSL2/2+ Modem/Router/Wireless 54Mbps with 4 Port Switch

which uses the lan port on the pc not the usb port

bknight629 14:45 01 Sep 2007

Thanks very much!

ambra4 14:52 01 Sep 2007

I use this one, for the last 4 years never had a problem is easy to install and set-up

3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2/2+ Modem Firewall Router

click here

ambra4 14:57 01 Sep 2007

If you knou of a mate that might have a modem with a Ethernet port spare you than use the router that you have.

But if you going to buy a modem than buy the all in one type like the one that i listed

ambra4 15:06 01 Sep 2007

Hope all this make sense as networking can be headache when you first start

Do one thing at a time take you time there is no need to rush, get your desktop working first let it work for a few day just to make just all is working correct

before setting up the wireless network, file sharing wireless security ect

It also help if you read the manual first

this site would help you to understand the wireless network set up

4 steps to set up your home wireless network

click here

ambra4 15:10 01 Sep 2007

let us know when you have the modem/router and if you need help to set up

you can email at any time as I am 5 hours behind UK time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?