help setting up wireless connection

fishfingers 16:05 13 Mar 2006

Hi can anyone help? I am on bulldog broadband 8mb and have a wifi enabled laptop advent 7065. I want to go wireless, I bought a netgear wireless router and can't seem to get it to work, my laptop tells me to download the info onto a memory stick and feed it to the router but it has no usb. Is it the wrong type? can anyone help, I'm not really up to date on these things.

Diodorus Siculus 16:09 13 Mar 2006

Is the wi-fi adaptor on the laptop switched on?

What model is the router?

woodchip 16:11 13 Mar 2006

Check the settings in the Router setup page, like SSID passwords etc, there as to be a place on the Laptop to input the settings so you can connect. Check the system tray for Wi-Fi icon and double click

fishfingers 16:12 13 Mar 2006

err don't know, I just swapped my desktop for my sons laptop, bit of a novice I will try to look and see. how will I find out?

woodchip 16:15 13 Mar 2006

Use Fn key + to switch it on. You need to check manual for the other ket to press with Fn key

Diodorus Siculus 16:17 13 Mar 2006

There will be a symbol like an antenna which may have a LED which comes on. As suggested above, probably linked to one of the function keys.

fishfingers 16:23 13 Mar 2006

Got the wifi button just like you said, turned on now, what next?

Diodorus Siculus 16:28 13 Mar 2006

See if this helps:
click here

ceebee450 19:01 13 Mar 2006

Go into the network settings page in settings. See if there is a network bridge. If so, right click and disable it and try again.

ceebee450 19:02 13 Mar 2006

Oops, that should be network settings in control panel!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?