Help With Setting Up User Accounts

gplatt2000 18:40 16 Jul 2003

Hi theere. I am wanting to add a new user (or 2) to Windows XP. I want the users to ont be able to access to some folders. I have done this, but was wondering if it sould cause any problems with programs running? (the folders I have dinied access to are 'My Documents > Gavin (my user name - my donuments I assume?), and my own file on C drive. Also, will the other users be able to run programs which another user is already running? And can I change settings in a program, and have them so the settings only affect one user (I want Kazaa to dowlnoad to different locations for different uses)? And also will all users be able to run all programmes? And, my final question, is any extra memory used up if there are lots of users? Thanks a lot in advance, sorry about the number of questions!, Gavin

gplatt2000 19:01 16 Jul 2003

ANOTHER POINT - after setting up the accounts to check something, I have realised that if I log out (switch user), when I log back in the internet connection has been disables - is there a way of stopping this? Thanks again

spikeychris 19:15 16 Jul 2003

Switching users: if you want to keep the net then >>

Click Start, click Run, and type Regedit.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Right-click within the right pane, point to New,
and then click String Value.

Name the value KeepRasConnections.

Double-click KeepRasConnections, and set the value data to 1. (Back up the reg first)

You don't say if your running Home or Pro if Pro you can select whatever you want the users to access with no problems.

BTW watch what your doing with Kazaa.

Chris

gplatt2000 19:19 16 Jul 2003

OK thanks people, I am using XP Home (I think), although it let me choose for people not to acess a file when I righ clicked, selected propertise and chose the appropriate setting. Now just the other quiestions please!! Thanks a lot

gplatt2000 22:15 16 Jul 2003

lol, sorry about that! Anyone know then? Vog?? Thanks once more

gplatt2000 17:40 17 Jul 2003

Sorry to post again, just trying to get the post noticeed

keith-236785 18:12 17 Jul 2003

spikeychris, !WOW! where did you pull that one from?, good advice m8.

most people i know who file share use Kazaa lite from the same site as Kazaa, its supposed to be bug & virus free, i wont have Kazaa anywhere near my system though after trying it and getting caught out. as spikeychris says be careful.

gplatt2000 18:25 17 Jul 2003

Why what is dangerous with using Kazaa? I always have Norton AV running - is it still possible to get virtuses? Thanks for the hep people, keep it up!

gplatt2000 19:14 18 Jul 2003

Anyone?

recap 21:34 18 Jul 2003

Kazaa used to be one of the most prolific sites for bugs and viruses you name it, but they are starting to clean up their act.

I'm with paperman27 on this one though, and wouldn't have it any where near my systems.

Your last question I take it that you are only talking about one computer here. It all depends on what they save to their profiles. If you have a user that stores digital photgraphs on your hard drive then they will take up more than another user who just saves documents in Word.

gplatt2000 22:35 18 Jul 2003

Thanks for the help and Yes I am talking about just one computer. Now just a few more answers needed please.....sorry!.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie