Help to set up Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Expres

Real PC Virgin 13:34 12 Nov 2006

Please can any body help me to set up either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express I can get so far but am not sure what to do when I have to enter the email server names etc

p;3 13:38 12 Nov 2006

as requested a link to the previous thread

click here

and especially this posting

"it seems I have an outlook account (probably 1 my husband originally set up for me) I also seem to have an old outlook express accountI cant get them acctive. but when I try to log on to OE it says this:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop3.freeserve.com', Server: 'pop3.freeserve.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Invalid login/password pair', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 is that because we are not with freeserve any more.

Similar probs with Microsft Outlook I think, It appears to be there but the test email I tried to send wont.

I am not bothered about adding my hotmail or yahoo acoounts to it I would like to set up a new one with either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. The problem I have is that I dont know what my pop mail server is, (hubby used to do all that. ... I am determined to do this and sort all the other probs I have with this puter lol"

I hope this linking helps

brundle 14:31 12 Nov 2006

Who is your ISP?

Real PC Virgin 16:06 12 Nov 2006

Thats who we get broad band off I take it? It it is then it is AOL at the moment

brundle 16:11 12 Nov 2006

Yes, that's right - if you wish to set up an AOL email account in OE it is a little more complicated than a plain POP3 email address.
Have you registered with a different free email service? Googlemail for example (click here) - full instructions on how to set it up to work with OE are included, they even do it for you with an auto-config tool. click here

Set up AOL account in OE; click here

Real PC Virgin 16:16 12 Nov 2006

Does it make a difference that the AOL account is in my husbands name, as I dont have any details, it is only still on because he couldnt get out of the contract so it is paid up till may when I intened to change it anyway because I dont like AOL I have yahoo and hotmail accounts too.

Real PC Virgin 16:31 12 Nov 2006

Brundle I just followed the Set up AOL account in OE as you suggested all seemed to be going well until finish then it said:
XAOL-UAS-MB authentication failed. None of the authentication methods supported by your IMAP server (if any) are supported on this computer

brundle 19:04 12 Nov 2006

are you sure the following settings are correct
SMTP Server: smtp.aim.com
SMTP Port number: 587

brundle 19:06 12 Nov 2006

Or try these settings;
Imap.uk.aol.com
smtp.uk.aol.com, port 587

brundle 19:08 12 Nov 2006

more info here from someone who has got it to work;
click here

Real PC Virgin 20:23 12 Nov 2006

thanks brundle tried all that to with same response,no luck think I will just have to give up, just dont think i can do it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?