Help - Serious infection with Antivrus XP 2008

GroupFC 20:15 19 Aug 2008

I seem to have been seriously infected with this horror. My son says that he may have got this when he tried to play a youtube video and what I have found so far suggests I may have got it that way. Needless to say it is playing havoc with the PC with all sorts of pop ups and the like trying to get me part with cash!

Anybody got any suggestions how to get rid of it – please!

Halmer 20:18 19 Aug 2008
  GroupFC 20:23 19 Aug 2008

Yes thanks I had already found that. I am going to try the automatic removal tool and see how I get on.

I may be away some time!

GroupFC 20:55 19 Aug 2008

well that seems to have got rid of a lot of it. However when I re-booted the PC, my internet connection started up automatically and that didn't happen before.

I also seem to have two extra processes running on start up and I think that one or other (or both) may be responsible and I think I need to get shot of them. They are shown as xglilojc.exe and zsbybonk.exe (there very names sound suspicious to me). I have tried googling these but without success.

Anybody got any further advice?

MAT ALAN 21:00 19 Aug 2008

click here

Post your problem here,you will be downloading a small prog called HJT (highjackthis) the forum is run by dedicated people that specialize in this type of infection follow their instructions carefully, your issue will be resolved...

rick808 21:03 19 Aug 2008

Halmer's link worked for me on Thursday last week but seems as though there is a few variations of this problem because it didn't fully clear it on another machine on Sunday. I used Malwarebytes, then ran Superantispyware and Spybot Search & Destroy - both in Safe Mode and that seemed to clear it.

GroupFC 15:11 20 Aug 2008

I seem to have got rid of zsbybonk.exe but the other one is still there! I have now run Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware and S & D which seems to have got rid of some nasties.

I am not convinced that I am completely clean so I am now going to follow MAT ALAN's advice and post a log over at malwareremoval. Having looked at some of the posts there, it seems I am not alone!

DippyGirl 16:03 20 Aug 2008

I have heard that a combination of MalwareBytes AntiMalware and Combofix will get rid of it
Tutorial (and link to download it) can be found here click here
Note the recommendation on Windows Recovery Console

GroupFC 15:22 06 Sep 2008

I am pleased to say that with help from the good folk at malwareremoval I have now managed to clean the damn machine! It hasn't taken all this time though - I have been on a weeks holiday in the meantime!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?