Help with router/modem home network setup please

torpid 00:34 06 Nov 2006

Hello. I have two pc's -one connected to the internet via adsl broadband, the other not yet connected. I would like to get my new pc connected also but I am unsure of what I need.
I recently had my xbox online with a pc through a netgear dg834 router modem, but this broke.
Will the same set up work with a pc(instead of the xbox), same wires? Could I get away with a cheaper router/modem?
Also, my new pc has all the free broadband trials and stuff and I was wondering whether I need any of it? Do I/Can I have a different isp?
Any help appreciated.

ed-0 06:53 06 Nov 2006

" Will the same set up work with a pc(instead of the xbox), same wires? Could I get away with a cheaper router/modem? "

yes. With ADSL, any similar modem / router should be fine. £17 click here

" Also, my new pc has all the free broadband trials and stuff and I was wondering whether I need any of it?"

No.

"Do I/Can I have a different isp?"

Yes, just use the ISP you use at the moment. Remove the existing modem settings.

Setup your ISP on the modem / router, with your details. Your settings on the Pc's are probably already setup. Should be just a case of connecting the lan cables and connecting to the net.

torpid 15:36 06 Nov 2006

Brilliant, thanks ed-0.
So will I have to use the istall cd that comes with the router on both pc's? or just on the one pc im using now?
Im off to work now so I will not be able to respond until later tonight. Again, thanks for your help.

ed-0 17:46 06 Nov 2006

Depending on which router you get, you will just need to configure the router to one machine. The second machine should connect automatically.. So yes, just use the cd on the one machine.

If you use your exsisiting ISP, the one you connecte the XBox to, you should have all the settings you need.

torpid 21:34 06 Nov 2006

And the cable that plugged into the back of my xbox will just plug straight into the back of my new pc?
ps-I will probably get the router that you suggested, What am I missing out on compared to the netgear dg843-anything I really need or not?

ed-0 22:33 06 Nov 2006

" And the cable that plugged into the back of my xbox will just plug straight into the back of my new pc? "

Yes it should be as simple as that.

" ps-I will probably get the router that you suggested, "

I have no knowledge of that particular wired router. I just picked a cheap one, because you stressed something cheap.

ps not that I am saying you are a cheaposkate 0)

pps just kiding, it should be fine.

ed-0 22:40 06 Nov 2006

"What am I missing out on compared to the netgear dg843-anything I really need or not?"

nothing as far as I can see. There was a cheaper 2 port model, but i thought the 5 port would be better for you. You may want to go back to on-line gaming:-)

If you have a look at some of the reviews, you will see that this uses the same chipset as the DG834 but with smaller memory. Most of the reviews look very good.

torpid 00:10 07 Nov 2006

Cheers ed-0.
I think I will go for the cheapskate router option. Thanks for all your help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?