Help Required

peterleemaxwell 15:53 05 Dec 2006

I'm hoping someone can help a friend of mine. He informed me today at work his PC will not start up because of an error message saying his machine will not start due to being an illegal copy of Windows XP. I have never heard of this although I know of the WGA and the 'work-arounds' but that is when you try updates and loading new Microsoft software after the O.S. has started. Has anyone had a similar message or any advice you can give him? Any help appreciated.

Jak_1 16:15 05 Dec 2006

If your friend bought or aquired the pc in good faith that the os was a legal copy of windows then it's best to contact Microsoft who will then be able to help him. They will be able to replace the ileagal cd with a legitimat one.

birdface 17:37 05 Dec 2006

Normally it will only stop you from getting up-dates,If he has had it from new, it should have COA label stuck to the side of it with the proper Keycode on it,A quick phonecall to Microsoft should fix it for him,I reformated my sons computer yesterday Put the keycode in, And got back that it was an illegal copy that i was using,Son has had computer from new,So I know microsoft make mistakes,Normally a quick phone call to them, And they will sort it out,

Kate B 17:39 05 Dec 2006

Incidentally, it's a good idea to put a more descriptive title on your post: "Help required" doesn't tell us what your problem is.

peterleemaxwell 18:01 05 Dec 2006

Thanks Jak_1
Although some people pay for the full version, some people cannot or will not pay at every reincarnation of the O.S., so will buy an illegal copy.

Thanks buteman, Advise taken on-board.

Thanks Kate B, Point taken

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?