help required

drdeath 15:38 07 Jun 2004

Hello over the last few days i have been recieving e mails via outlook express, which are from e mail addresses some i recognise, they all seem to have the same headline of "hello" or "information" and they all have attachments to them, when i try to open these attachments my pc takes me straight to WINRAR and the following message pops up, after a 40 day trial period you must either register or remove from your computer, im not familar with this please help all i wish to do is read the attachments thanks in advance

SANTOS7 15:46 07 Jun 2004

the first thing i can sugest is any mail you receive with attachmemts, you don't recognise i would strongly advise not opening at all as it is almost certainly spyware/malware/trojan orientated

Jackcoms 15:50 07 Jun 2004

You may have broken one of the first rules of keeping you PC virus free.

If you receive any e-mail from a source you don't recognise, particularly those with attachments, DELETE them - don't even THINK of opening them and certainly don't open the attachments.

Are you running up-to-date AV software?

Totally-braindead 15:50 07 Jun 2004

Strongly agree with Santos7, you should never open an email attachment unless you know what it is and who it is from. As an example many companies will not accept emails from customers with attachments because the virus risk is too great.

xania 15:51 07 Jun 2004

I agree with SANTOS7 even when they come from an address you think you recognise. In addition, make sure that your virus checker is up-to-date as your friends may well be sending on a virus without realising it. The maxim - if you're not expecting an attachment treat each one as suspect.

xania 15:52 07 Jun 2004

I agree with SANTOS7 even when they come from an address you think you recognise. In addition, make sure that your virus checker is up-to-date as your friends may well be sending on a virus without realising it. The maxim - if you're not expecting an attachment treat each one as suspect.

Fruit Bat 18:55 07 Jun 2004

DO NOT open attatchments from anyone unless you are expecting them!!!!!!!!

The 40 day message is tellingyou that The WinRar program is shareware and you will have to pay to use it after the 40 day dealine.

This may have saved you from infecting your computer if you have not been able to open the attatchment.

Delete these e-mails!!!

Run your antivirus program to be sure

Anti Virus :-
avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here
Trend Online Check click here

Free ones here if you haven't got one.

spuds 19:37 07 Jun 2004

As previously suggested, do not open attachments unless you are sure of their origin.

If you haven't any good protection on your computer, I would recommend that you install AVG,ZoneAlarm,SpywareBlaster,Adaware and SpyBot. With that combination, you should have a fairly secure computer.

I would also suggest that you download Stinger from click here and do a quick scan.

Wak 19:40 07 Jun 2004

I agree with the above sentiments and would also suggest that you install MAILWASHER so that you can actually read the e-mails before you download them from your ISP. They can then either be allowed, deleted, bounced or blacklisted.
The choice is yours!

spuds 19:41 07 Jun 2004

All above suggested programmes are freeware, so no cost to you. All are well used and highly recommended and respected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017