Help reqd by Silversurfer

peterleemaxwell 16:11 28 Mar 2010

Help Changed my crt monitor to a lcd one.
Should have been an easy job even for me. I am now in a position 1/ No Sound
2/ Cannot get onto the internet or 'Outlet Express' for e-mails.
First- I have checked the mass of cables at the back especially the speaker ones.
The e-mail box keeps coming up for my password and name all have been put in the correct boxes but no go. Cannot connect to Internet explorer or firefox strange but the virus updater and firewall both can connect to internet. Any suggestions. (Hair already grey)

MarvintheAndroid 16:34 28 Mar 2010

1) Sound - does your monitor contain speakers, or are you using separate ones ? Make sure they are in the right sockets on the back of the PC, it is very easy to have them shifted out by one place. If your sound card sockets are colour coded, the speaker is the green one and the microphone is red.

Do you have only one set of speaker sockets on the PC or two sets ? (Sometimes PCs with a sound card fitted also have sound sockets on the motherboard - which would be disabled. Make sure you are plugged into the right ones.)

2) This is unlikely to be anything to do with the monitor as they are completely unrelated, but it's possible you disturbed something when fiddling with the wires. Check your network cable from the router to the PC before doing anything else. I assume the lights on your router are normal ?

If that fails, go back to first principles and unplug everything, then plug back in one item at a time starting with power cable, monitor cable, keyboard and mouse .... try starting the machine.

Then add in the speakers

Then add in the network cable to the router and any other USB cables etc.

Of course there could by coincidence be a problem with your router or with your internet provider, so if nothing works try again after 24 hours.

Most important is take it slowly and don't panic, haste is your biggest enemy.

Marv

peterleemaxwell 18:30 28 Mar 2010

Thanks Marv just the advice I required.
The monitor has it's own speakers and I use the system I had before two off the sound card.
I use a wireless laptop off the same line it's my desktop PC that has the problem. It's hardwired to the cable modem. I must have been hamfisted doing the fitting. I will go through what you have said slowly.
Best Wishes

peterleemaxwell 15:19 29 Mar 2010

Well thanks to Marv I now have sound but a last problem still exists Whilst trying 'everything' I could have done something I should not have. I cannot still read my e-mail. Keeps coming up with he log on box. I enter the correct log-in details the password all correct but still no good. Internet Explorer is unable to connect along with Firefox, although if I want a programme such as the virus checker (Avast) this updates with the latest updates. Any suggestions? I have tried 'System Restore but that was no good.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 29 Mar 2010

Outlook Express keeps prompting for your password
click here

Woolwell 16:12 29 Mar 2010

Although you state that Avast is being updated everything else points towards a lack of internet connection (IE, Firefox and Outlook Express). I think that you need to double check that the cable between your desktop and router is correctly connected at both ends. Do the "2 little windows" in your system tray indicate that you are connected?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:22 29 Mar 2010

Woolwell

If there were bad cable or wireless connections to the internet AVAst could not update.

Therefore this must be a IE/OE softwre problem.

peterleemaxwell 16:50 29 Mar 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I will do as you say.

Woolwell 17:07 29 Mar 2010

But it is Firefox too.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 29 Mar 2010

Firefox uses same stored password as IE, inported from IE when firefox istalled.
If store password in registry is corrupt then no browsers will get on web.

Woolwell 17:20 29 Mar 2010

I wasn't aware of that - thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017