Help!! Repeated Blue screen

chris180cc 10:26 10 Feb 2008

Hi all

I have looked on other blue screen threads but, but being a complete girlie, I still need some advice.

My Dell PC is about three years old and worked well initially.
I started getting blue screen crashes about a year ago. For most of them I can use my PC after restarting. On two occasions I was unable to do this and have had to pay to have it repaired. I think they reinstalled windows XP (I don't have a disk - as it was pre-installed on my PC). I was told by the shop that it probably happened because an update didn't load properly. But they assured me it shouldn't happen again.
Yesterday it happened again and would not restart. I finally managed to restart in safe mode and used system restore to get it back to where it was before. I have used Uniblue registry fix which says it has fixed the problem but when I run it again the same problems/errors come up. I have looked at the event veiwer but to be honest I don't know what I am looking for.
As this keeps happening could it be a problem with my hard drive? Would it be solved by replacing it?

I hope someone can help.

howard64 11:10 10 Feb 2008

first have a look on your hard drive for a hidden partition with your repair stuff on it. Dell often do this when they do not supply a repair disk. Second yes a new drive will probably solve your problems I had a pc with a 4 year old drive which kept having similar problems and it ended when I fitted a new hard drive. For more help post back.

Diemmess 11:18 10 Feb 2008

It might not be your HD itself, it may be what has accumulated on it over the years.

A few things to try and some answers please to help other members to offer solutions?
(Not in specific order)

1) are you protected up to date with anti virus and firewall please say which?
2) have you tried CCleaner (free download) to clear out old files and clutter?
3) have you defragmented your HD?
4) Have you checked what is loading at startup? Run msconfig and see what is there
5) Do you remember any new programme or gadget which coincided with the start of your troubles?

chris180cc 13:37 10 Feb 2008

Thanks for your responses.

Howard 64 - I am not sure what a hidden partition is. What am I looking for?

Diemness - I have Norton internet Security etc I last renewed March last year

Have not tried CCleaner, but I will

I defraggged about a week ago

I will look at msconfig

I can't think of any new programmes; although I did install Itunes in Dec 06, My problems started in February. I do rememeber an error message about unable to load automatic updates

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:41 10 Feb 2008

Auto-reboot disable:
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

chris180cc 14:20 10 Feb 2008

I have looked at CCleaner - does it do the same thing as my Uniblue Registry fix?

Fruit bat - I checked my auto restart it was already disabled

Diemmess 15:39 10 Feb 2008

CCleaner dosn't play with the registry except for removing meaningless remains.
It does a very thorough job on everything else.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's idea of auto restart was good. A shame already disabled.

You might get a clue if you go to the System (Events log)......
Access via - Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event viewer, System log.
This will give you aseemingly endless list of what windows was trying to do. In your case there may be a large number of error events flagged red.
Don't bother going back before today but copy some of the errors here, it my strike a chord with someone.

Diemmess 16:40 10 Feb 2008

Another thought to answer your question about a "hidden partition."

My Computer :- will show the drives that you have, C: D: and so on.
If the CDROM or is out of sequence (D: not shown) then you may have a hidden partition on your primary HD

If you right click on the main drive HD and on properties and the arithmetic doesn't make sense i.e. the drive is supposed to be 80 Gb but the screen says 60 then the chances are you have a partition which is hidden.

I've never had one, but would suggest you try in My computer again Tools, Folder Options, View.
then....
Some way down the list will be a box which you should tick to "View Hidden Files and Folders."

chris180cc 17:05 10 Feb 2008

Thanks

I have looked at the event log I have a few warnings:b57w2k and Tcpip

I also have a number of errors mainly Dchp

Any ideas?

Diemmess 17:23 10 Feb 2008

Sorry, having tried them in Google I was appalled by my lack of understanding! There seemed to be a hint of network (Internet trouble) I think you can ignore Dhcp.
When things are badly wrong there is often a huge list of repeated red errors

Lurking in my mind is an unsubstantiated distrust of Norton, but assume you are a paid up subscriber until March and have not had trouble along the way?

How about signs of a hidden partition yet?

Anyone else?

chris180cc 17:25 10 Feb 2008

I have also noticed that my computer is now saying I have new hardware and asking me to insert disk to install (this is for my scanner and webcam which have been installed on this pc since I first got it).

It also no longer "sees" my wireless network adaptor.

Should I just buy a new pc??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?