Help with removing "serve.bannersdontwork.com" virus

TonyTT 11:10 14 Aug 2013

Hi

My computer has been infected with some kind of bug. I think it is called "serve.bannersdontwork.com".

It keeps popping up with surveys when i open/close Chrome. I also think it is interfering with my internet connection.

I have been on the internet to look for a solution but as usual most of the sites are trying to sell me something and the "manual removal" looks either too complicated for me (i have no idea how to change the registry) or look a bit shady themselves.

Anybody got a simple way to remove this?

Also, given that i pay Norton to do this kind of thing for me, and it seems like a well know bug; why the hell does a Norton scan not detect/deal with?

Thanks

Anthony

iscanut 14:04 14 Aug 2013

Download and run the free version of Malwarebytes and also uninstall and then reinstall the latest version of Chrome.

iscanut 14:05 14 Aug 2013

PS Malwarebytes here .....sorry should have been with my first response.

click here

matt2000 15:28 06 Oct 2013

This program looks like adware/pUp, not a virus. Norton is an antivirus/spyware program, Antivirus by default does not remove pUps in-case you installed them and find them useful. Malwarebytes removes pUps. The program is free and should be used WITH antivirus software to keep your PC running properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?