Help to Remove Virus Please

Michael Abdrew-187015 10:42 10 Nov 2004

I have two email accounts, one with yahoo and the other woth hotmail. My hotmail account cannot be accessed and when I contacted hotmail they gave me the following information. Virus scan result:
File name: website.zip
File size: 22kb
File type: application/x-zip-compressed
Scan result: Virus"W£".[email protected]"found

Hotmail state that they are unable to clean this virus which has left me with quite a predicament as hotmail is my working email station and I must have access to it. Can you advise me on how to get rid of this virus. Is there any software that I can download to do this and if so do you know of any that I can downoad for free?

Your assistance right now would be deeply appreciated.

Many thanks

Mike

Graham ® 11:12 10 Nov 2004

If you don't have an anti-virus program, download, update and run AVG click here

curlylad 11:47 10 Nov 2004

Previous advice was spot on , if you do not have an Anti Virus then download and use AVG.
However I think we need a specific tool here to remove this virus , so heres what we do , I am assuming that you are using Win XP , if this is not the case please let us know a.s.a.p.

Goto this link click here and download the removal tool , but before running it follow these instructions

1)Close all running programs

2)Disconnect from internet and network if applicable

3)If running XP disable system restore.To do this right click my computer , click properties , click system restore tab , tick the box'Turn off system restore' , click apply , click yes , click OK.

4)Double click FxNetsky.exe file to start removal tool

5)Click start

6)Restart PC after tool finishes its scan

7)Run tool again (just to be sure)

8)Re enable system restore

9)Update the removal tool from symantec site regularly.

This should remove your Virus , if it does not then get back straight away and there are other options to try.

Salinger 11:58 10 Nov 2004

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that this virus is in his Hotmail account which he cannot access?

curlylad 12:26 10 Nov 2004

Yes , but I am under the impression that he has no Anti Virus , for this fact alone I would run the tool I suggested as the virus could be anywhere on his unprotected system by now.

maltaha , is it posible to delete your hotmail account , then follow the method I suggested in the earlier post , then re establish a hotmail account ?

ACOLYTE 12:32 10 Nov 2004

Usually MSN,well mine anyway just disable access to suspicious attachments,but still let you access it if you like and your account so you can delete the email it came in.But that said i would get spme type of virus scanner and run a scan,even an online one is better than nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone