Help to remove virus js/dir

AP22 21:12 18 Jul 2010

Over the last couple of days my AVG (V9) is detecting multiple instances of a virus called js/dir with a file name that varies but often includes ekoob.xml. It seems to be associated with Outlook but I am not certain. The most recent AVG warning shows:
"c:\Users\Alan Desktop\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\N0CMTXU7\ekoob[1].xml";"Virus found JS/Redir";"Infected"

Note that I don't use Internet Explorer (I'm a Firefox user)so I am not sure how it can relate to that.

I have not opened any spam emails or unknown attachments. I have had several spam mails along the lines of "Your Invoice is attached" but never open them.

I have searched all over the net and can find many references to this virus being prevalent over the past month. Several solutions are offered and I have tried these and cleaned the machine with subsequent vurs scans detecting no virus. Then, shortly after, it still returns. I've tried Safe Mode without success. AVG seems to put it to the virus vault so, hopefully, there is no damage done but how do I stock the thing from re-appearing. Any kideas please?

northumbria61 21:20 18 Jul 2010

Search from within AVG itself - Open AVG User Interface - Help - About Viruses and Threats - Virus Encyclopedia - Search Database.

VoG II 21:24 18 Jul 2010

Possibly (not sure) click here

AP22 21:25 18 Jul 2010

northumbria61. Thanks for the suggestion but when I do this the AVG viris encyclopedia says nothing found!

northumbria61 21:27 18 Jul 2010

If you have the paid version you can get "online Help" from the "Help" tab from within AVG.

AP22 21:35 18 Jul 2010

northumbria61. Thanks. I am one of the cheapskate users of Free AVG ;(

northumbria61 22:14 18 Jul 2010

I actually checked the Virus Encyclopedia using various permutations and found nothing. Are you saying AVG puts it in the Virus Vault and then it reappears again ?

"can find many references to this virus being prevalent over the past month" - what do they actually say about it ?

northumbria61 22:25 18 Jul 2010

You could try running "ccleaner" - Quick and easy way to clean files, browsing history, temporary data and other clutter from your computer

Or try SUPERANTISPYWARE - if you haven't got it you can download from here click here

Make sure you download the FREE edition (you cheapskate - your own words !! )

birdface 17:30 11 Aug 2010

Bad site from nicetech.Wot gives it a straight red.

birdface 17:34 11 Aug 2010

Ignore comment from nicetech and don't download anything from it.

click here

Some reviews which are very poor.

Update and run the free version of Malwarebytes instead.

click here

Furkin 19:50 11 Aug 2010

AP22:
Did you ask about it on AVG forum ?
Their own forum is very good for their own product.

I've only recently come across Malwarebytes (thanks to these pages) and it did shift the little bu@@er that I had.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?