help with reinstalling XP

Ikelos 08:58 01 Apr 2006

hi,I will try and keep this short, yesterday with help form this forum, I reformatted this dell laptop and reloaded the OS, found all the progs and anti virus software, then late last night i finished it,restarted it a few times, everything fine..well pleased with a full days work getting it all going...

this morning i switched it on, and a message came up on the screen, with words to the effect,

windows system32/config....is missing or corrupt, then it said something about trying a repair, tried that, it is a dell disk, anyway i have now started again...anyone any idea what has gone wrong...

thank you..

VoG II 09:01 01 Apr 2006

Corrupt registry possibly click here

Ikelos 09:08 01 Apr 2006

hi, the thing is it was ace last night,only happened after it had been left for a few hours switched off, I will study the link, thanks.

Ikelos 09:10 01 Apr 2006

oh dear, it says it is not much good if you have the OEM disk, which is what i have...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:54 01 Apr 2006

It works wether disk is OEM or Full XP disk.

WIll not work with manufacturer's recovery disk.

Boot disks for XP from http:\bootdisk.com should contain the required files to copy from.

Ikelos 14:18 01 Apr 2006

hi,I have the manufacturer's recovery disk, just formatted it again and waiting to see when it goes down.. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)