Help reinstalling Vista

rincewind66 09:07 06 Mar 2008

I have been advised by a call centre that I need to reinstall Vista.
1)Is it possible to keep all software on pc and reinstall?
2) How do you reinstall as I have never done this before.
Thanks in advance for any help.

VoG II 09:12 06 Mar 2008

You could try a repair click here

ventanas 09:21 06 Mar 2008

If you have to do a full reinstall click here
But you will lose everything, so back up anything you want to keep. Any programs will have to be reinstalled though.
A repair, as suggest by VoG will avoid this.
What problems are you having anyway. It may be fixable without resorting to such drastic action.

rincewind66 09:37 06 Mar 2008

It is a friends computer. He has orange broadband and cannot connect. He tried dial up but that would not connect either. At first he was told it was IE so he tried firefox with no success. He has now been told by orange that when you get through to call centre they remove some imformation from your computer and that he should reinstall Vista. I'm not near his computeryet but will be later . So need as much info as possible. Thanks so far

rincewind66 09:46 06 Mar 2008

Also how do you uninstall

VoG II 09:55 06 Mar 2008

I don't know if this will work with Vista but worth a shot click here

anskyber 09:58 06 Mar 2008

If you do not have a Vista DVd to do a startup repair. Without the disc and If Startup Repair is a preinstalled recovery option on your computer.

click here

Then expand the section "how do I use Startup Repair?"

ventanas 10:02 06 Mar 2008

Sounds like a cop out to me. He was on the phone to Orange and they "removed" something from his PC. Sorry, but don't see that. I suspect the reinstall Vista solution is because whoever he was speaking to had no idea how to solve the issue.

There is a plethora of assistance on the Orange web site. Start at click here and have a look at any relevant articles.

Is he using a wired or wireless connection? Connecting to orange wirelessly with Vista takes seconds. I did two last Sunday

anskyber 10:08 06 Mar 2008

I agree with ventanas it seems like poor advice from Orange.

rincewind66 10:49 06 Mar 2008

It is a wired connection. I have tried reversing the cable

rincewind66 11:27 06 Mar 2008

Thanks ventanas tried orange web site but have tried all of their suggestions. VoG and anskyber will try your suggestions later. So do you all think a reinstall would be pointless?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?