Help with registry cleaners

fstr 11:34 08 Dec 2007

Have been given copy of registry cleaner for xmas but have heard so much about things going wrong with these programmes. Does anyone have any info on this

anskyber 11:36 08 Dec 2007

Which one have you got?

sunny staines 12:09 08 Dec 2007

Several good free ones available.

SANTOS7 12:14 08 Dec 2007

By default whatever Reg cleaner you have is designed to repair and fix registry issues its only when you start altering settings that causes problems until you know EXACTLY what you are doing.
Whatever you do to your registry a good idea would be to BACK IT UP first........

spuds 12:15 08 Dec 2007

There are quite a number of good free registry cleaners available on the internet. If you are new to using cleaners, then make sure you have completed a 'back-up' before using the product.

There are different methods and possibly updates used by some manufacturers, so its best to have information as to the product you intend to use.

sunny staines 12:20 08 Dec 2007

Reg Mechanic 6 is still a free program, but the free offer ends 20/12/07 then its back to paying for it if you want it.

Reg Mechanic 7 is now out which may be why the free offer RM6.

Chris the Ancient 12:42 08 Dec 2007

Personally, I use RegSeeker from click here which is free.

I haven't had any problems with it and it does have a facility to do an 'autoclean' with a backup of the registry first.

Makes it quite simple!

SB23 12:49 08 Dec 2007

A good all rounder is Ccleaner, which I trust 100%, and another I use for a very good clean is RegscrubXp.
Both are freely available and don't cause any problems because you get the option to restore if something does go wrong.

gibfish26 17:15 08 Dec 2007

hi fstr i have just used free version of winaso and its made a real difference to my pc ie lot faster,this also has restore if you make mistake,and i am only a novice p-cer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?