Help reccomending upgrades for gaming

bennyrub 21:29 04 Nov 2009

Hey guys, first time post here.

I enjoy playing PC Games and have recently converted from my 360 to pc. I currently play L4D, World of Warcraft and TF2 and all of them run fine. I have downloaded GTA4 and Cod WaW from steam but these seem to be rather choppy and dont run as smoothly.

With L4D2 and the new call of duty coming out soon im i would love to buy them both for my pc but i would love to be able to play them and not have to worry about a choppy framerate.

here are my specs, hopefully you guys can offer some fairly cheap upgrades to help me run these games smoothely. (Christmas is coming so i can use the money from that to purchase the upgrades)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 3GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

If there are any details i missed out please tell me and ill try and find them!

Thanks

bennyrub 21:44 04 Nov 2009

Sorry, i meant 2GB of ram*****

MAT ALAN 21:58 04 Nov 2009

at this point i would only change your VGA card the 9500GT is a donkey of a card...

the 9600GT or the radion HD3850 would give better results...

bennyrub 22:05 04 Nov 2009

ive decided im gunna spend a max of £100 on a new VGA card, i found this on Ebuyer, i would love your thoughts.

click here

Im also going to upgrade to 3G of ram as a family member is giving me 1GB.

MAT ALAN 22:11 04 Nov 2009

nice card but a HOTTY you may need to generate more air flow as well for this one...

MAT ALAN 22:17 04 Nov 2009

You don't say what your PSU is rated at, it might be a factor when upgrading to a high end card...
click here

bennyrub 23:33 04 Nov 2009

Okay, ive had a look at my PSU and mobo so i can add more details so that hopefully soone can advise me on a suitable graphics card for under £100

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 3GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Mobo: Asus P5N73 AM
PSU: 550W max
I also have two fans built into my chassis

This is my first time actually thinking about the components of my PC as my current PC was a birthday gift so im sorry if i seem nooby.

GaT7 00:33 05 Nov 2009

A HD4870 requires at least 2x dedicated (preferred) 6pin PCI-E connectors (click here shows one at left) - does your PSU have these?

Also, please let us know the +12V rail figures printed on the PSU label in Amps (e.g. click here has 2x +12V rails of 20A each). If it's sufficiently high, you could get away with using converters/adapters (see right of 1st pic above). G

bennyrub 01:12 05 Nov 2009

hey, i checked my PSU and the +12V rail fugres are both 18A. My PSE does not have 6Pin PCI-E connectors, it has there click here

Will this mean that i require a new PSU? and if so could anybody be so kind as to link me a suitable one. Like i said christmas is coming up so i will have enough money to purchase a few upgrades.

GaT7 01:35 05 Nov 2009

You could get away with using adapters, but all 4x molex connectors supplying power will ideally need to come from unused & separate lines emanating from the PSU. With having to power other drives, I don't think this will be possible with most PSUs, so a PSU upgrade will be required.

I'd go for this Enermax click here for £48 with the 2x dedicated PCI-E connectors. Others to consider are click here, click here, click here & click here.

Don't be put off by the Enermax's seemingly humble 425W - I'd trust it over a 800W no-name, low quality PSU any day. G

bennyrub 03:46 05 Nov 2009

Fantastic, i greatly appreciate all your help! I think im going to buy click here and click here although i noticed that people have said that it gets very hot. Im just wondering what i can do to combat this? at the minute my tower has two fans, one over the processor and one at the back. Im not sure wether these will be cooling enough to manage to keep the graphics card from overheating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?