Help with RAID drives

talia 20:10 15 Jul 2007

Help!

My mates machine, which is 4 years old, has an 80Gb RAID drive installed running XP Home.

Windows will not load fully, we can boot up in safe mode but in normal we get the dreaded blue screen part way through boot.

How or can you run a repair on this type of drive?

anskyber 20:13 15 Jul 2007

Which RAID is it? Usually it's RAID 0 or RAID 1.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 15 Jul 2007

How or can you run a repair on this type of drive?

Yes makes no difference XP repair is the same on any set up see below.

but if ok in safemode and crashing in normal then is usully a corupt driver.
Uninstall the drivers one at a time in safe mode untill you find the problem. Start with the graphics driver.

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

talia 21:40 15 Jul 2007

Thanks for your reply.

i will try all you siad and get back to you.

talia 12:34 16 Jul 2007

Here is the problem! When I try to do the repair no XP installation is showing yet we know there is one?

Is this a characteristic of a RAID drive?

Batch 14:57 16 Jul 2007

For RAID to be effective there needs to be 2 or more physical disks on the machine (and on the same disk controller).

RAID is managed at the disk controller level (e.g. on the motherboard) and is effectively transparent to the OS and installation thereof.

It maybe that some RAID installations will allow RAID to be switched on even if there is only one physical disk. In such cases you don't really have RAID at all (which sounds like it might be what your mate has).

Note that there are several different levels of RAID designed to achieve different objectives. See click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 16 Jul 2007

but if ok in safemode and crashing in normal then is usully a corrupt driver.
Uninstall the drivers one at a time in safe mode untill you find the problem. Start with the graphics driver.

talia 19:33 29 Jul 2007

Hi!

I have unistalled all drivers and installed one at a time and the machine still restarts after booting up the desktop.

I cannot run a repair as I am not shown a volume that has windows loaded yet it must be? It shows RAID 0-4. There is a drive attached to the SATA slot on the M/Board.

Any ideas?

UncleP 02:00 30 Jul 2007

(a) most RAID controllers generate a status message which appears very early in the boot-up sequence (well before Windows loads) which indicates the type of array present and its condition ie healthy or degraded. Have you seen any indication of this? Incidentally, the motherboard manual should contain a section on the RAID controller and what options are implemented.

(b) RAID 0-4 usually indicates a type 0 array built from 4 HDs, although there are other interpretations. There must be a minimum of 2 HDs for any type of RAID array to be present, as Batch stated above, although the machine should continue to function correctly even if one of the HDs in a RAID 1 is faulty. So simply counting the number of HDs will give some information.

(c) can you access the Disk Management page in safe mode? This should tell you what disks are present and their condition, including whether they contain an OS. Note that an array will appear as a single disk if healthy, with a single drive letter.

However, I suspect that your problems arise elsewhere than in the RAID array.

Batch 12:05 30 Jul 2007

From what you say (only one physical disk), you (or rather your mate) don't really have RAID at all.

If RAID is enabled, as far as I can tell, the only type of RAID that might still operate with one physical disk is RAID 1 (mirrored). With one disk it would (might) just fail to mirror. With other types (e.g. striping), by definition the schema requires 2 or more disks to actually function.

You could try switching RAID off (in the BIOS). But to be quite honest I'm not sure that your problem is anything to do with RAID.

talia 07:06 31 Jul 2007

It is not a RAID drive but a SCSI! I was fooled by the fact that when you enter SETUP all you get is RAID options.

Does this shed any light on things. I still cannot boot up windows without it crashing to the dreaded blue screen, even with no drivers loaded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?