HELP-PROCESSOR and MEMORY UPGRADE PROB

seabass1 11:02 24 Feb 2009

Hello All,

I want to upgrade a relatives PC. they have bradband now and machine wont multi task or run media/video apps very well.....had some crash isuues also but have just re installed XP so starting afresh.....

MY QUESTION IS...

WHAT IS THE BEST CHIP AND MEMORY COMBO FOR A BIT OF AN UPGRADE WITHOUT REPLACING THE MOTHERBOARD?

Motherboard is Asus A7V-E
Processor is Athlon 1GHz
512 installed at present
Chipset is i think the KT133?

Obviously this is low spec and I guess my choice of processors is limited....PLEASE ADVISE.

My worry is that this old board is not able to carry what i want to insall....WHAT EXACTLY WILL IT CARRY....and how do I find out? Is it only capable of carring the 1GHz chip as I have seen in some reviews of the motherboard or are they just old reviews?

I think it is only compatible with certain AMD chips/socket type etc....can it carry Dual Core for example?

How do I identify the correct socket type for board?

Is it socket A....? What does this mean?

I am no expert so go easy on me please.......

Fruitbat...if you are out there I mave used your posts with goods results in the past THANK YOU!

THANKS TO YOU ALL IN ANTICIPATION OF SOME SOUND ADVICE

MAJ 13:15 24 Feb 2009

It's not worth upgrading, seabass1. It's a very old motherboard, getting an older processor and memory would be relatively expensive and the maximum memory the board can take is 1GB click here. Much better to go for a motherboard bundle that includes motherboard, memory, CPU heatsink and fan. You'll probably also need a new PSU (Power Supply).

Legolas 13:34 24 Feb 2009

I must agree with MAJ as with all older comps when it comes to an upgrade I have found that to upgrade in anyway significant ity normally means a new board to take the new memory modules and of course dual core processors. Again I agree with MAJ have a look about the Internet for m/b bundles, that way you are more likely to get components that are compatible with each other. Here are a few to look at but a google search will give you more choice. click here

MAJ 13:56 24 Feb 2009

Here's a link to the CPU support for your M/B, seabass1 click here Looks like an Athlon 1400 (200 MHz FSB) is as far as it can go, not really worth the trouble, even if you could find one for sale.

donki 16:21 24 Feb 2009

If your relitives are just wanting a machine for the net and lightweight applications get a cheap base unit from a highstreet store or online and use there old onitor and keyboard. A decent machine for that kind of thing would be around £200 mayb less if you didnt want anything to good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?