Help!! Problem with desktop

wollfletch 15:55 01 Mar 2008

Hello im new on here so please bear with me.

We have a desktop and laptop and use a wireless router for our internet needs.

The laptop which I am using now is working connecting to AOL via our router but for some reason our desktop has stopped working and we cannot get onto AOL or internet explorer.

Aol comes up with modem cannot find dsl line and gets stuck at the looking for aol va tcp/ip.

We have tried after looking for advice through this site to do a System restore but that comes up with :-

system restore is not able to protect your computer. please restart your computer and then run system restore again

We have done this and it makes no different even tried it in safe mode.

Really unsure what to do next. I have looked at ownership and as far as i can see we have all the rights.

Tried to load firefox but that wont work and even trying to get help and support up on the desktop is impossible.

Any advice would be much appreciated as i am losing the will to live (he he)

Thank you

crosstrainer 15:59 01 Mar 2008

Tried re-booting the router / modem? Unplug for 1 min then replug, wait until it sysncs (could take a minute or so) then try again.

wollfletch 16:04 01 Mar 2008

Tried that thank you didnt make a difference. I have tried to re configure the router but thats when i get the problem on internet explorer. Thanks for the tip worth a go wasnt it!

crosstrainer 16:07 01 Mar 2008

You are going to have to get your access back, this means pressing the re-set button on your router, and stating again from scratch.

wollfletch 11:04 02 Mar 2008

i cannot reset router as i cannot access it on the desk top. I cant load firewalls or any programs on the desktop!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 02 Mar 2008

desktop has stopped working and we cannot get onto AOL or internet explorer.

gets stuck at the looking for aol va tcp/ip.

Reinstall AOL and retry

Also try direct connetion to router (cable) Many routers are reached by either the Web address "click here" or "click here"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?