Help with printing

Pedro Campos 12:29 20 Oct 2007

I have a Canon ip4300 and two PCs, one running Winodws XP and the other running Windows NT 4.0. The printer is not compatible with the Windows NT, so is there a way of making the Windows NT printing through the Windows XP as in a network, if so how its done and what do I need?

Clapton is God 12:53 20 Oct 2007

Would a simple 2-way switch do it?

click here and scroll down to 'USB device share switch'.

jack 13:43 20 Oct 2007

That would make the two puters share a printer
The only way is to transfer the data from NT to XP and print from there

Woolwell 13:49 20 Oct 2007

Reckon that even with networked printer the NT machine would need a driver for the Canon. Therefore I think jack's last sentence is probably correct.

Belatucadrus 13:59 20 Oct 2007

I don't think it'll work, I have a W98 PC on an network with XP machines, it can't print with a Dell 720 connected to them despite print sharing as it hasn't the appropriate drivers.
Unless you perhaps grant shared access to a program on the XP machine and use it to print from the NT machine ? Don't know NT and I'm not convinced it'd work and if it does it's long winded, but may be worth a try.

Pedro Campos 15:36 20 Oct 2007

Could you develop your idea a bit better. Transfer the data from NT to XP will need both PCs connected together, correct? Thanks

jack 15:49 20 Oct 2007

Not really if both machines have USB drives then a simple flash drive[USB pen drive ] would do it
or Transfer to a disk [floppy/CD] any of the old 'steam methods'
Don't get too technical about these things, that is where all the pitfalls are.

Pedro Campos 15:58 20 Oct 2007

I see your point... i think that the best option is really to upgrade NT.

woodchip 16:04 20 Oct 2007

If you network them by means of a router connect the printer to XP comp and share, you should be able to print from NT if you leave the XP comp running, you can turn the monitor of if you want

jack 16:58 20 Oct 2007

A Thought
Printer not compatable with NT!
XP is NT with bells and whistles is it not?
Have you looked on the root of the Canon CD to see what drivers are there?
The software may not run, but a simple escape driver should run it.

Pedro Campos 20:44 20 Oct 2007

I did thought of that and I've dig in the CD all the way to the bottom. It has drivers for 98/ME/2000 but none works on NT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone