**** HELP Possible Virus? ***

tnucboy 13:58 21 Jun 2007

When using my pc on the internet downloading a file, my desktop icons all went & all i have now is my background pic :-( I have AVG virus + zonealarm firwall. I have scanned pc using avg + spybot which Avg had nothing & spybot a few & I fixed those. I have to use task manager to run programs as I dont have desktop icons or sart bar.
I have started pc in safe mode as well as norm and its the same, starts up you see desktop icons & startbar then it goes leaving a blank screen with just the orginal background pic. The only thing I have not done is a system restore. Any one got any ideas or can help? thanks in advance :-)

Paul

p;3 14:05 21 Jun 2007

click here try a full deep scan with this tool

VoG II 14:06 21 Jun 2007

Try Taskbar is Missing click here

tnucboy 09:22 22 Jun 2007

Neither has worked :-(

johnnyrocker 09:25 22 Jun 2007

system restore?

johnny.

Technotiger 09:54 22 Jun 2007

Have you recently uninstalled anything, in particular Google desktop Search - without doing a re-start after the uninstall? If so, re-install Google search bar and I think your desktop will be back as normal.

p;3 14:10 22 Jun 2007

try an on line scan with

click here

from where were you trying to download the file that flipped the machine? and of interest, are you using any P2P file sharing programs?

tnucboy 17:01 22 Jun 2007

i wasnt un installing anything. I do use a p2p prog but wasnt at the time.

cant remember the site, but as was d/loading i noticed the task bar & quicklaunch bar disappear.

tnucboy 17:03 22 Jun 2007

ill try the online scan from p;3 also the system restore.

I have to run progs from using ctrl Alt & del to get task manager up & running from using the brouse window, right pain in A*se. Ive tried running windows explore and I get a quick flask of my desktop icons & start bar then it dissapears again :-(

p;3 17:35 22 Jun 2007

to quote'
When using my pc on the internet downloading a file,'

what were you trying to download?

and if you do use p2p stuff you are most probably gonna get infected

tnucboy 20:05 25 Jun 2007

thanks guys, the online scan again seemed to of sorted it :-) thanks one & all 4 your help!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone