Help with Pop-Ups

I am getting a lot of trouble with pop-ups. I downloaded and installed this one click here and it is running in the background. No soon as it started running I left my computer and when I returned there were about 10 windows up on the screen. The most annoying that keeps appearing is Winfixer 2005. Please help me to have pop-up and trouble free surfing.

Stuartli 15:15 27 Nov 2005

Do you have XP with SP2? If so there's a Pop-Up blocker included in SP2 (IE>Tools>Internet Options>Privacy tab).

There's a similar feature in Firefox. Tools>Options>Web Features.

VoG II 15:15 27 Nov 2005
  Skyver 15:15 27 Nov 2005

Make sure Windows Messenger service is off click here
Scan with Ewido click here

Thanks VoG but that seems too advanced for me and it keeps appearing any easier ideas?

palinka 15:28 27 Nov 2005

My money would be on uninstalling the one you installed.
I don't know anything about it , and have never installed anything of that sort myself, but to me it seems akin to saying Yes in the box that says "may we give your name to carefully selected companies.....". If you invite things in you can expect other things to arrive uninvited.
All pop-ups are designed to make the owner money.

Messanger is turned off and I have done as Stuartli suggested but when running Ewido it wont do anything, next move please? If I had hair I would be tearing it out!!!

And I have uninstalled the one I installed.

Skyver 15:30 27 Nov 2005

Does Ewido work if you restart in Safe Mode?

Tried in safe mode and it did more! the blue line when across and listed something like cookies, C: and a couple of other things but did no more after that

Skyver 15:55 27 Nov 2005

Run a system file check , startmenu/run, type `sfc /scannow`.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone