Help Pls - Sony DCR TRV17E convert footage to DVD

Sanj&Mini 10:45 12 Jun 2006

Any help appreciated. I have recently been on Safari in the Serengeti and have a number of hours of fantastic footage that I would like to convert to DVD. Please can you tell me what leads and what software (if any) I require to be able to play, record and edit this footage on my laptop.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge in this area but I havent done this before so any suggestions and links to appropriate sites would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

johndrew 10:57 12 Jun 2006

You could try click here but you should have got software, cables and a maual with the camera. Have you checked these?

Sanj&Mini 11:02 12 Jun 2006

Thanks JohnDrew

I couldnt find any of the original leads or the manual so I will have to purchase the appropriate leads and software. Is it pretty straightforward to edit these tapes to DVD? I have seen a number of ads for companies that will do this for you but they seem to charge a fortune!

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:05 12 Jun 2006

What software came with your laptop, only you may have a video editing programme already installed.

Sanj&Mini 11:08 12 Jun 2006

Hi Hertz

I havent been able to connect the camcorder to the laptop as yet so am not sure what editing software if any is installed. I have previously used Nero for burning back ups of DVDs can I use the same program here?

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:16 12 Jun 2006

If you have Nerovision Express that should work, your manual can be downloaded from johndrew's link.

Sanj&Mini 11:18 12 Jun 2006

Thank you both for your help. I'll give it a go.

Thanks so much for the quick response!

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:19 12 Jun 2006

You can use Nero to save your stuff but the normal Nero will not edit it as such, but a good idea to make a backup.

Sanj&Mini 11:22 12 Jun 2006

Does the program not allow you to view and edit the copy once it is written to the laptops hard drive?

johndrew 12:28 12 Jun 2006

If you download to your laptop you will be able to view your footage in an editing program once one is installed. The best way to do this is install a program (you can look on these forums for ideas) and then `import` your footage to it.

Depending on your HDD drive size you may wish to make a copy of the raw footage that is on your camera and save that in case you `have difficulties` when you edit. You can do this by copying the file after puting it on your laptop.

Editing programs look complicated at first view but if you either follow the `walk through` or read the manual as you go along you will soon pick it up. Much cheaper and more satisfying than using one of the companies to do it for you.

Most important rule is to take your time and think about what you want to achieve. If you make an error and can`t see a way out then DON`T save as it will make the changes permanent. This is also a good reason to have a backup copy.

stlucia 12:42 12 Jun 2006

According to the camera's spec, it has outputs for USB and IEEE 1394 (Firewire). These would be the normal way of getting your video from the camera into your PC, so you need to get a USB or Firewire cable depending on which sockets you've got on your PC.

I use Firewire, which allows me to download the video in "real time". USB2 would probably do this also, though I'm not sure if USB1 is fast enough. The software I use is Pinnacle DV, and it splits the video into separate scenes during the download. My firewire card came with it. But you can probably use MS Movie Maker (I think it's called) which comes with Windows XP.

Pinnacle also handles my editing, and then compiles the edited video into MPEG2 files ready for creating a DVD. There's other software that will do that -- Ulead comes to mind.

I then use Roxio to create a DVD using the MPEG2 files. Nero will do that too.

I believe some modern software will do the whole lot for you, but the download -> edit -> compile (also called "render") -> create DVD sequence is the same whatever combination of software you use. No way would I pay a company to do it for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone