Help please, XP Boot problems..again!!

Qdiddy 23:25 30 Nov 2004

Running XP SP2 on AMD athlon 1200. During boot up, get as far a splash screen with blue bar rolling across, then a beep and the boot process starts all over again. Have tried booting with XP CD. Have gone into recovery console and run FIXMBR, FIXBOOT and CHKDSK. Still no luck.

Occassionally get Safeboot options, but when I select these, I just get a list of entries that look like driver names and all start with "multidisk(0)...."

I am poised on my work laptop to humbly follow your advice. Thanks.

woodchip 23:33 30 Nov 2004

Try running with XP cd and choose the install it will look for XP etc but if you load to same drive it will repair the OS

Qdiddy 23:35 30 Nov 2004

If I do this, will my data be safe? Also, will I have to reinstall SP 2?

gold 47 23:45 30 Nov 2004

If your going to use the recovery disk it will not install if your version has only starter pack one you can't install an older version over new i had to delete the none dos partition and do a full reinstall all data will be lost.
I stand corrected if you get told otherwise but it refused to install this way for me.

woodchip 23:46 30 Nov 2004

You will have to reinstall SP2 but your files should be OK

Qdiddy 23:49 30 Nov 2004

I tried this but a warning came up about not installing a new operating system on the C; drive. I do have a 2nd hardrive. Should I install it there instead?

Qdiddy 23:52 30 Nov 2004

Also, I don't understand what it going on with SafeMode (sorry, called it safeboot earlier)? Why do I just get a list of drivers scroll past? I'm sure if I could actually get the system to start in safe mode, things would be easier to resolve!

woodchip 23:55 30 Nov 2004

You should wait, after the drivers load for the system to go to safe mode

Qdiddy 23:58 30 Nov 2004

OK. After selecting every instance of safe mode, I am now logged in normally. What else can I do to trouble shoot this? I remember running sfc scannow some time ago. What does this do again?

Qdiddy 00:00 01 Dec 2004

Woodchip,

The system never goes into safemode when it does this. It just reboots and brings up the safemode options again. It has always done this, but I don't know why.

woodchip 00:03 01 Dec 2004

If you are in safe mode, You can try this first but you should not connect to the net without Anti-Virus running. Go to Start\Run type MSCONFIG go to startup tab and remove ticks from boxes but do not remove any of the services. then try a reboot. if it starts OK you should put one tick back at a time, and try a Reboot untill you get the Problem You will then know what the problem is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?