HELP PLEASE. Trogan dialer

Ive 20:50 06 Apr 2004

AVG has found ( C:\_restore\temp\A0105123.cpy ) Trogan horse, dialer on my daughters ME machine but cannot heal move or do anything with it.
Your help please.

powerless 20:51 06 Apr 2004

click here

Delete to delete.

the-george 21:29 06 Apr 2004

Judging by the path of the file that is 'infected' it looks to me like it is one of the files from a system restore backup. This means that the anti virus program will not be able to remove it. I am pretty sure that it also means that as it should not be active.
I had the same problem with ME but using Quest Second Chance rather tahn the built in System Restore.

If that is the only place that it was found then at some stage your anti virus program must have got rid of it.

This is what I did.
1. Made a new system restore point
2. Found the file in Windows Explorer and right clicked on it. Choose properties and looked at the date the file was created.
3 Went into system restore and deleted the appropriate restore point.
4. Re-scanned and all reference to it was gone.

If you cannot determine the date then you may have to delete the oldest restore point then re-scan to see if the file is still present. repeat if necessary.

the-george 21:32 06 Apr 2004

Just managed to read the link given above - couldn't get it prior to my reponse.
Seems I was on the correct track but the method in the link seems easier.

Ive 21:35 06 Apr 2004

Powerless. What do you mean by delete to delete

VoG II 21:39 06 Apr 2004

Don't know what Powerless meant exactly but if you turn off System Restore you should find that it has gone.

Make sure you turn SR back on once you are clean.

Ive 21:51 06 Apr 2004

VOG. With SR off no virus found, but does that mean when turned back on it will be there again?

VoG II 21:53 06 Apr 2004

Nope. Gone.

VoG II 21:54 06 Apr 2004

Basically you've flushed it down the pan. Turn SR back on and keep anti virus up to date.

Ive 21:57 06 Apr 2004

Thanks all. Will turn back on then run AVG. Will post back later with result.

the-george 21:57 06 Apr 2004

Having read the info in the link above it would seem that turning off system restore DOES remove all the files that it created at the various restore points. That means the infected file has gone- permanently. However, so have all your other restore points so make another quick if you have not already done so.

My method was a little cumbersome but I still had several unaffected restore points available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?