HELP PLEASE OneDocument gone into Another Document

Shikaree 19:07 29 May 2009

Hi Folks,

I don't know what I pressed or did but all of a sudden I noticed that H--------y's documents To H--------y's Documents being copied. I stopped the copying. When I opened the Original H--------y's Documents I've noticed that quite a few Documents & Files are not there. I started checking and have found that the missing Documents have gone into another Document.

I can Copy & Paste all this back to the Origunal H--------y's Documents but that will take a while as there is quite a lot to Copy & Paste. Not only that, at times the Copy & Paste is not always 100%.

If I do A Restore will that do the trick and give me back everything in H--------y's documents as it was just before this mishap happened.

Please advise

Thanks

Shikaree

justme 19:22 29 May 2009

A system restore will only sort out the system files but will not do anything about your data files.

I'm afraid that this is yet another good example of the need for backing up important (to you) files regularly.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Shikaree 17:21 30 May 2009

Hi justme,

I thought that a System Restore took your computer back to a Date & Time including all and eveything on your computer.

My hard drive is Partitioned C & G and in G I have all & only my personal files. So it won't do anything for this.

Shikaree

DieSse 18:05 30 May 2009

"I started checking and have found that the missing Documents have gone into another Document."

You mean several documents have gone into a single document?? - or is it into another folder??

Into another folder is easy to fix.

"I thought that a System Restore took your computer back to a Date & Time including all and eveything on your computer."

Nope - justme is quite correct.

Shikaree 19:24 30 May 2009

Hi DieSse,

Thanks for your time and promptness in replying.

Yes, some of my documents/files in G:/H-------y's Document - it's a Folder, you know the Yellow Folder - has gone into another Folder and it's there as a Yellow Folder - H--------y's Documents.

I can open it up and all my Personal stuff is there. Some are still in the Original Folder and some in the new place. I want to get them back to the Original Folder - place.

Thanks

Shikaree

DieSse 20:41 30 May 2009

Move them in one go, just like you normally would, in Explorer.

Mark them all (Edit - Select All)

Right click on the marked list (anywhere)

Drag to the folder you want them in

Let go the button - choose Move from the context menu that pops up.

Delete any unwanted empty folder that's left over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?