help please! MyPC is being naughty

bubble3 21:18 14 Jun 2004

Hi,I am new here and new to computers, so no technical jargon please!!

I need some help as my computer is not behaving. It won't let me into outlook express, except when I try to switch it off. It won't switch off, and outlook opens and opens and opens over and over again.

while I am online it is making GOLF noises, like the ball dropping in the hole and the crowd cheering and I have no idea where this is coming from???

I have not visited anywhere it could have been picked up. I have no clue how to make it stop other than turning off the speakers.

I have run AVG anti virus full check which took 107mins and found no virus, so what is wrong and how the hell do I fix it????

Help please,

Bubble xxxx

Dan the Confused 21:24 14 Jun 2004

What Windows version do you use?

bubble3 21:25 14 Jun 2004

sorry I should have said - I use XP

Dan the Confused 21:28 14 Jun 2004

Try clicking START>RUN and typing SFC /SCANNOW (press return).

Fruit Bat 21:32 14 Jun 2004

Anti Spyware :-
Spywareblaster click here
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
CW Shredder click here

download and run adawre and sybot

install and run antivirus software annd firewall if you don't have them theses are all free

Anti Virus :-
avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here

Firewalls :-
Kerio2 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:43 14 Jun 2004

Okay before trying any of the above do these.......

Go to start-control panel-folder options-view and check 'show hidden files and folders. Then go to my computer-C drive (your main drive), documents and settings-your name-local settings and delete all in the temp, temp internet, and history files.

Then download the free version of Adaware from click here, run it and delete ALL that it finds. get regseeker from click here , run it on 'clean reguistry' and delete all that it finds by 'select all' and then right-click on the files-delete.

Post back if you are unsure of any programmes or actions.

G

bubble3 21:45 14 Jun 2004

fruit bat I have AVG anti virus and spybot.

Dan I done as you said and it took all this time - now nothing??????

bubble3 21:53 14 Jun 2004

gasndalf there are hundreds of files in temp and temp internet... some of them say they cannot be deleted? IS that right??

gudgulf 22:39 14 Jun 2004

click here

Try dowloading and running this---it will do the job that GANDALF <|:-)> suggests (cleaning out all temp files) for you.Use the standard cleanup option.

But before you do any of this,and if this has only just started happening,try using system restore to a date before thing went wrong.

bubble3 12:07 15 Jun 2004

OK done that!

It took over an hour and removed 1.22GB of stuff!!!! wow

golf noises are gone, and outlook is behaving but the thing is still slow and sticky? It keeps making those gear crunchy "thinking" noises too??

Anyway thanks for all the advice xxxxx

gudgulf 17:07 16 Jun 2004

Make sure you dowload Adaware from the links posted above--that will shift all the adware/spyware on your system.

Spybot Search and Destroy is also worth having,but if you are new to all this then Adaware is the best place to start.When you have scanned with it just tick all that it finds and follow the instructions to remove.With a bit of luck you will find an improvement in performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires