Help please-Just run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

rustybear 19:22 03 Oct 2009

Hi, Help please i'm out of my depth. Found this site this afternoon and read about 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' and it sounded good so decided to download free copy. However when I scanned my pc with it at the end it came up with results of
under the Vendor heading
'Hijack display prop...'
under the catergory heading
'Registry data'
under the Items heading
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\micro'
under Other heading
'Bad(1) Good(0)
under the Action taken heading
'No action taken'

And its asking if I want to remove it?

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but for some reason it won't copy the results of the scan.

Not sure whether to remove or not, is it really spyware, worried in case I mess pc up again by deleting something thats not really a problem. Don't know what i'm doing really. I have always used the free AVG (which is still installed) which I can manage ok. Thanks for any help

Technotiger 19:30 03 Oct 2009

If you are not actually having any problems you might as well leave it as is - if you are having problems then you can Remove it.

If you really do have any problems in future, you can come back here and ask again.

rdave13 19:40 03 Oct 2009

Agree with Techno. If you're having no problems then leave well alone for now. Wait for next update and run a full scan. If still showing as bad then quarantine it.

mfletch 19:50 03 Oct 2009

Its telling you your windows firewall is turned off and MBAM wants to turn it back on.

Can you check to see if Im right is your firewall off

p;3 19:56 03 Oct 2009

OR; you could update the program and let us see the report from a fresh scan to check for you ; lets see what may be going on....

birdface 19:59 03 Oct 2009

I had something like that and it ended up being the active X for Microsoft updates.So not sure if it was the exact same as yours.
Every time I went to run the microsoft updates i used have to keep downloading the active x before I twigged it was a Malwarebytes problem.

rustybear 20:50 03 Oct 2009

Thank you for all your replies,
I've checked my firewall and it is on, which I was'nt sure until I checked to be honest. Decided to click ignore tab and try to update the program and rerun the scan but when I click on exit it comes up with 'scan in progress, are you sure you want to close Malwarebytes.
I give in!! Just wish i'd not messed with it..Thanks anyway

Technotiger 20:52 03 Oct 2009

Just let the scan run - it doesn't take long.

Malwarebytes is a very good program.

rustybear 21:01 03 Oct 2009

Thanks Technotiger, it was the full scan and was running a couple of hours. so have decided to exit and have now started to run the quick scan to see if anything shows up on that. Been running about 5 mins now, will let you know what happens.

p;3 21:05 03 Oct 2009

When you click on the program icon it will open and will probably ask you if you wish to update it; if definitions are up to date go to the scan tab and select a full computer scan option; then let it run until it stops ; it could take about 30 minutes to run a full scan so be patient ; it will then give you a report ; we would like to see that report to check it for you ; once you have given us that report, THEN you can close the program:))

rustybear 21:06 03 Oct 2009

Just finished running scan and it says was successful and no malicious items were detected, so going to leave it at that and hope for the best.

Thank you for all your help!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?