Help please on extended warranty for HP laptop??

littlestan 15:48 19 Oct 2008

Hi I have a HP laptop and its warranty runs out in November. From the HP site I think it seems to be £169 for repair but not replacement. (They did have to repair it not long after i got it and they were ok and it (touch wood) has been ok since). However, I need some protection as I really need my old lappy but seems a bit steep at that much. I really only want another 12 or 24 months, but their site is not the easiest to find my way round and it seems to be 3 years or nothing - although probably me misinterpreting. Can anyone suggest any alternatives?! Cant afford £169 unfortunately.
Thanks - as always, in anticipation of your help and advice. x

Technotiger 16:28 19 Oct 2008

Personally I don't think extended warranties are worth the expense.

Total catastrophes aside, I would say your best Insurance is your own TLC and this PCA site!

littlestan 17:10 19 Oct 2008

technotiger - thanks - you probably talk much sense. I am obsessively careful but as a bit of a numpty with techno stuff i just panic when things dont go to plan. The PCA site i have always thought is terrific and fantastically helpful without making anyone feel silly or useless plus if someone somewhere can't help me if things go phut, then I suppose the old lappy hospital would need a visit and probably lots of reputiable mr fixits who would benefit more from my hard earned cash! Will give the HP extortion a miss. thanks v m

Technotiger 17:16 19 Oct 2008

Your welcome.

T I M B O 18:35 19 Oct 2008

You need good warranties with HP lap tops, i had 3 in 3 days lol.

woodchip 19:10 19 Oct 2008

With HP you can take out the Extended Warranty just Before the twelve months runs out, If the PC is running OK when you take it out

Pineman100 19:26 19 Oct 2008

As you can buy a laptop these days for not much more than £300, is it really worth spending more than half that on a warranty?

Why not put the £169 in a savings account (you might want to avoid an Icelandic one), and add, say, £10 a month to it? If the laptop needs repair, that fund should cover it. If not, in a year or two you'll be able to afford a new laptop.

laurie53 19:56 19 Oct 2008

Agree with Pineman 100.

Put your £169 in a tax free savings account like an ISA and if the worst happens you are well on the way to getting a new laptop,probably much quicker than your old one will be repaired.

In fact for that much you can probably get a factory reconditioned one, with a full 12 months warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017