Help Please can not get on to certain web sites

clacton0 18:54 23 Mar 2006

Hi this is my first post here. I have a Belkin F5D7632-4 and can not get on some web sites like click here and click here but others are OK. I have restarted my router but it has made no difference and also restored it to default settings. Does any one know whats wrong with my Internet? I have a laptop and PC and the web sites wont come up on there to.

ade.h 19:22 23 Mar 2006

Unless you have inadvertantly entered these URLs into WEb Filtering, it is highly unlikely to be the fault of the router. What Firewall Policy are you currently using?

clacton0 19:42 23 Mar 2006

Hi I have the Firewall off but have WPK on. It started playing up the other day. My mate who's is on the same exchange as me and is also on AOL can get on to the web sites though.

clacton0 19:49 23 Mar 2006

I think Ive fixed it now. The MTU was on auto and I have changed it to 2000. Which was one of the things I had to do when I first got it. Dont know why it went to auto. But this seems to be ok now.

clacton0 19:52 23 Mar 2006

Sorry I ment to say 1400. not 2000.

ade.h 19:58 23 Mar 2006

Auto MTU sometimes results in too low a threshold, as you have found. This causes smaller packets to be dropped and some websites won't load fully or even at all.

The problem is that, with the firewall off, you are relying on your software firewall to deal with suspect packets that would often be caught by a low MTU threshold. SPI firewalls are much better at packet filtering, so yours should be enabled really.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?