help please! adsl router and router difference

shellie_eeyore 07:31 19 Dec 2006

hi there im new to this site and just after some idiot advice !! im not good with this wireless situation!
right i have 1 computer 1 laptop both windows xp i want to join them with a wireless connection so i went out and brought a router but i got a adsl router i have since looked on the net and i seem to have a problem as im on ntl cable broadband can i still use this router or do i need to get a new one i have been looking at them online and some mention adsl and ntl broadband i dont want to take it out the box till i know it will work. thanks in advance to anyone who relpys

mgmcc 09:12 19 Dec 2006

If you have bought a combined "Router & ADSL Modem", then you have the wrong type for use with NTL's Cable service.

You need a stand-alone router, usually described as a Wireless "Cable/DSL" Router. (Don't confuse the reference to DSL with the models that incorporate an ADSL Modem).

Suitable examples at PC World click here

shellie_eeyore 09:31 19 Dec 2006

thanks for the info looks like i now have a adsl router i have no use for! wish id asked before i went out and brought one the place i got it from doesnt do cable ones so thanks for the link to pc world ill go there

oldbeefer2 10:06 19 Dec 2006

I recently bought an unused NTL Netgear wireless modem router by mistake (didn't notice it was for cable until I got home, and the individual I bought it from won't refund the money!). It may be just what you need. PM me if interested and I'll send details of the model when I get home.
Richard

Strawballs 00:05 20 Dec 2006

click here Here are a few more that you can use I myself have the Linksys WRT54g model on NTL.

shellie_eeyore 11:00 20 Dec 2006

thanks to everyone who has advised me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?