HELP PLEASE

carver 19:03 07 Oct 2009

Sorry to sound frantic but I am, just had to reformat my Son's PC and when I tried to connect with the SKY router it wouldn't connect, wired.

So I have tried to connect wire less, gone through same procedure, tried to connect, same problem, no connection.

I don't know if I have missed something, not done things in the right order or what. At the moment I just seem to be chasing my own tail trying to sort it.

Had to reformat after he went and got some virus, wouldn't allow you to do any thing apart from visit several unsavoury websites. So thought best thing was to reformat with a clean install of XP.

OTT_Buzzard 19:06 07 Oct 2009

Go to device manager and check to see if the Network Adaptor driver is installed (you;re looking for big yellow question marks).

If it isn't, go to your motherboards manufacturere;s website, download the drivers, and install.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 07 Oct 2009

OTT_Buzzard

"go to your motherboards manufacturere;s website, download the drivers, and install."

bit difficult if he cannot connect. :0)

carver
You will have to download and save them on your machine transfer to other machine via mem stick or burn to CD.

woodchip 19:42 07 Oct 2009

What are you using a USB modem or a Router as Router does not need Drivers, but you will need the SSID and Encryption key to connect from a PC

johnnyrocker 20:15 07 Oct 2009

a fault description would have been better as a heading and more help to others?, having said that have you checked in network connections that the facility is there?

johnny.

OTT_Buzzard 21:44 07 Oct 2009

"bit difficult if he cannot connect. :0)"

Would have been difficult to post a message here with no connection as well!

carver 08:58 08 Oct 2009

Sorry about late reply to you all but last night was a bit frantic. Was trying to sort my son's PC out without much success, then daughter came home from UNI unwell and proceeded to be sick, wifes got swine flue, so she isn't up and about.

Apart from that every thing is fine.

Back to the problem, device manager is showing every thing all right, but still no connection. Don't know whether to start again from scratch and reinstall every thing again.

The problem is my son is in the autistic spectrum and he wants to know why it isn't working NOW.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:57 08 Oct 2009

Router configuration
click here

"he wants to know why it isn't working NOW."

That sounds like every child I know :0)

carver 13:10 08 Oct 2009

Thanks for reply, going to try it now, well in the next hour if every one can stop being sick.

My son keeps asking why it isn't working and why I don't know why it isn't working. He's a lovely kid and would give you his last sweet, but say to him give me a couple of hours to sort it and he expects it to be done in 2 hours, not a minute longer.

carver 12:01 11 Oct 2009

Sorry about late response but have now sorted problem, I really do not know what was wrong with the connection problem but reinstalled windows and every thing just worked.

As soon as windows XP was reinstalled went into Internet connections put the key in and there it was, connected.

Wifes getting better, daughter is also feeling better and another one of life's mysteries sorted.

Any way, thanks to all of you for your help, much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:15 11 Oct 2009

Glad your sorted.

Funny how everything seems to go wrong at once.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone