help please

diamondgirl1 12:08 03 May 2009

i have an old computer which has windows xp on, but i decicded to put it on the other day and it came up as there is a corupted file press r which is the repair i have not got the originals cd to repair it is there any way i can download or repair it,, also i have windows vista original cd,s would i be able to use them on the old one or would it not work because of the format ? please help thanks

AndySD 12:27 03 May 2009

Can you tell us which file is corrupt?

diamondgirl1 12:40 03 May 2009

its says need original cd rom set up or press r for repair i have not got the originals cd rom

Pamy 12:56 03 May 2009

Wat does pressing r for repair do?

lotvic 14:30 03 May 2009

you will need the CD click here

Will it boot into Safe Mode? (keep tapping F8 when you first boot up and a menu will appear to choose from) then you could try sfc /scannow at Start > Run to check the files.

No, you can't use a Vista CD to repair XP

countrymum3 16:35 03 May 2009

Can anyone help me I have a toshiba satellite X200 only brought it the start of last year and my daughter has taken alot of the keys off as they are easy to pick off can anyone tell me if its possible to get new keys as its really hard to type with some missing?????????

Pamy 16:54 03 May 2009

put them back on again

tullie 20:03 03 May 2009

You will cause chaos if you hijack someones thread,better to start your own.

Jim Thing 12:58 04 May 2009

Scroll to the first post in this thread. Immediately above it you'll see a banner heading with "Start new subject", "Reply to this subject" and "Contact Forum Editor". Click on "Start new subject" and you can then start your own thread, as tullie recommends.

You can also choose to get an automatic notification by e-mail whenever anyone responds to your thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?