Help Please:

balmad 20:58 24 Jul 2004

I have E-machine computer,windows XP home edition but it's cd re-writer has stopped working. A busy light is on all the times and i can not open it by pressing the button. Moreover now the re-writer drive and cd drives both have disappeared from my computer. Can any one help?

jonnytub 20:58 24 Jul 2004

is there a cd still inside the drive?

howard60 20:59 24 Jul 2004

go to control panel - hardware devices - device manager and then system. delete/uninstall all cds and then restart pc and with luck they will be found and reinstalled

hugh-265156 23:09 24 Jul 2004

some things to try click here

woodchip 23:25 24 Jul 2004

yes there as to be a cd in the drive, and it cannot read it. it may need a new ribbon cable

THE TERMINATOR 23:53 24 Jul 2004

If you want to get the disk out of the drive, restart windows and open the drive while your pc is still in POST mode....TT

Wak 09:24 25 Jul 2004

If there is any need to open a CD drive because of a jammed disc or faulty working then look on the front of the drive for a small hole (approx 1 mm. across) and gently push a stiff piece of wire inside it. This will open the drive and is specifically for this purpose.

balmad 14:15 25 Jul 2004

Hi,
Thanks for your response. I opened the drive with the wire and found no cd inside. Now it is showing when I press my computer button.Its door doesnot close with the button on front of it. Any thing else I can do ?

€dstowe 14:32 25 Jul 2004

Check the cables - especially the ribbon cable - at both ends to ensure it is fully pushed home.You might want to try a different cable if you can. Do this with the machine powered down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros