Help With Playing DVD's

justin37 15:25 06 May 2004

Hi Guys

Following on from a previous post I made regarding reformatting my pc, I would just like to say a big thanks to all the users who helped me after successfully sorting out a reformat.

I need to pose a new question tho, My DVD ROM drive plays audio cds and data cd's but won't play dvds, it doesn't even show a disk in the drive even tho there is one there, I have tried going through the help files and trouble shooter but with out any joy. Any ideas I am running Windows XP pro,40gb HDD(clean),512 RAM.

Thanks

Justin.

krsna 15:29 06 May 2004

Have you installed a software DVD player, such as powerDVD?

Totally-braindead 15:30 06 May 2004

If its a video DVD you're trying to play you'll need the software to play it like WinDVD or PowerDVD. If you've tried another type of DVD such as a PC Advisor cover disk DVD and it won't even read that then the chances are its knackered and will need to be replaced. Before doing this I'd try cleaning it first, you can buy a DVD cleaning disk from Tescos, Woolworths etc for about a fiver.

justin37 15:32 06 May 2004

Hi

Yes I have power DVD 3.0 and have downloaded the XP patch in case that was the problem but its made no differnce, I have also tried using Media Player but the same results.

justin37 15:34 06 May 2004

To add to the above this problem has been with it since the day I bought it although on one occasion it did play after a bit of faffing around.

scooby43 15:59 06 May 2004

how long ago was it when you bought it? windows media player works with DVDs but you need a plugin for it.

justin37 16:04 06 May 2004

its about a 1 1/2 years old

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone