Help Partitioning Hard Disk in Win XP Pro

tigernick 16:51 08 Mar 2006

I have a fairly small 25GB hard disk on my PC running WIN XP Pro and have recently bought an external USB 2.0 hard disk to store additional data as I am running out of storage space. I had originally wanted to partition the smaller hard disk but came accros troubles and bought the external one anyway. I am trying to partition the external disk so that I can store backup data on one part and new data on the other.

I followed the Windows help tool and it suggested that I would get the option to create a new partition under the disk management tool. I went to computer management, then disk management. I right clicked on the disk to be partitioned in many different places, but have so far not been able to find the option to create a new partition. Other options include, open, explore,change drive letters and paths, and properties. This was the same with both drives.

If anyone has any ideas as to what to do, or where I am going wrong I would really appreciate them??? I would also like to know if it is recommendable to install another version of windows on one partition or on a different disk incase of failure or problems etc???

Thanks

The Kestrel 17:13 08 Mar 2006

Gt to click here for a step by step guide to formatting and partitioning your hard drive.

Go to click here and download the appropriate boot disk to partition and format your drive.

pj123 18:17 08 Mar 2006

Or download Ranish Partition Manager from click here and try that.

tigernick 18:27 08 Mar 2006

Thanx for the advice i'ved managed to setup the partitions now on the new drive. Just one more thing, is it recommendable to install a backup second version of windows XP on the second hard disk or not???

tigernick 18:30 08 Mar 2006

Thanx for the advice i'ved managed to setup the partitions now on the new drive. Just one more thing, is it recommendable to install a backup second version of windows XP on the second hard disk or not???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:41 08 Mar 2006

If you can afford the space a copy of the c: drive is an execllent idea.

Just remember to update you copy n a regular basis.

Use something like Acroniis true image or Ghost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?