help with partition size,usage etc.

dfghjkl 22:18 03 Jan 2004

i am thinking of partitioning my hard drives.i have a 30 and a 40 gig maxtor drives.i have xp pro on a disk.i guess i will put o/s on a 10 gig (C)then i will have another 10 gig for daily use (D)for internet downloads etc.10 gig for my music (E).then i have games so another 10 for them (F).that leaves about 30 for when i get a digital camera. what i want to know is is it worth doing?am i doing it right?will i easily be able to move files from one to another?i know about the pro,s of smaller partitions eg easier to maintain and format.i use ntfs can i use this for all my partitions?i only built this pc 2 months ago but it has been on an extended soak test now i know it is ok i can start again and tailor it to my needs (seperate user accounts for the kids etc)thanks

Stevie07 22:20 03 Jan 2004

The best advise for resizing partions and anything in this area is to buy Partion Magic 8. Works really well for me and very easy to use.

dfghjkl 22:29 03 Jan 2004

do i have to buy software?i was hoping to do it foc

powerless 22:34 03 Jan 2004

You can do want you want from Windows.

Start, Run, Type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click OK.

You can partition from there.

However you must have unollocated space. [A black _______ ] to do this.

You will have to reinstall Windows and partiton from the W/setup if you have not.

If you do not want to do this, PM is what you want.

dfghjkl 22:43 03 Jan 2004

i have no problem reinstalling windows,i was going to partition this way anyway,i have only reinstalled with one hard drive before but i guess if i connect it up and run the xp disc then i will be able to reformat both discs and sort out partitions then load a fresh copy to the master

dfghjkl 01:37 04 Jan 2004

bump

cream. 01:49 04 Jan 2004

If you reformat and partition, then just do your "C" drive through the X|P installation. It will give you what options you need when installing.

Leave the slave drive until you have X|P up and running. Right click my computer and scroll own to manage. Double click this to open it and then pick disk management. A new window will appear in the right hand pane. You can now select the slave drive. Partition and format to your hearts content, it's all built in. lol

Best of

dfghjkl 13:39 04 Jan 2004

thanks chaps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone