Help! Not sure what has happened to my PC

Mr A! 14:02 21 Jan 2005

The other noght i used my computer no problem. I turned it on yesterday and no problem. My dad then used it to check his emails and send one, and to print off a webpage. He shut it down. I turned it on later to find out that the computer is in 600x800 resolution and 16 colours. I can not get out of this and the virus program (AVG Free 7) says it can't run. The computer is not running in safe mode.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks
Aden

Gongoozler 14:11 21 Jan 2005

Hi Aden. The worrying thing about your posting is that AVG can't run. This can be caused by a virus attacking AVG. Your computer running in 600x800 resolution and 16 colours is probably due to corruption of your graphics drivers. If you're using XP (and the default to 600 x 800 suggests that you are) can you System Restore to an earlier time. Also if you can get online try an online virus scan click here

sattman 14:35 21 Jan 2005

Interesting and rather strange I am using win ME and contrary to what many have found I have not had many problems with it crashing - that is up until yesterday, the last change I made to the computer was 5 days ago when I uninstalled Norton and installed AVG.

My symptoms are practically the same as described above
Computer working fine, switch off goes into safe mode, says wrong driver fitted then next time boots up with basic vga driver.

Eventually I found that by booting from my set up disc and then closing down it opened up ok next time. I uninstalled AVG and problem seemed to go but as I did not like not having AV I have reinstalled AVG to see if problem comes back. So far it is ok

System restore only restored so many times and them gave up for me. and then advised none of the points were good. Also of concern I had just previously done a registry back up and this would not restore either.

Try also doing a scanreg /restore.

sattman 17:24 21 Jan 2005

I have had to remove AVG ver 7 it would not work for me kept crashing the computor. If you look at the AVG forum this new version has many reports.

I have now installed free version of Avast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?